Rek'Sai: Sai Kahleek

Six boys and a camel, and the boys were cheaper to replace. Some were orphans and escaped slaves, but most were off casts — teenagers abandoned by families too poor to keep them. When Shahib offered him the work, Jaheje hadn't eaten in days.

Only the desperate would try crossing the Sai Kahleek, but those with any meager possessions bartered for Shahib. Jaheje looked across the cooking fire at the older boy. A few small tufts of facial hair had sprouted on Shahib's cheeks, and his voice no longer cracked when he spoke. Few boys survived crossing the desert for more than a couple seasons. No one chose to do it after earning any money. No one except Shahib, who had walked the Sai Kahleek for almost ten years.

Shahib whistled and the other boys ran to his side. He showed them how to cut the callouses from their feet.

"Feel each step" he instructed. "Start with your big toe, then roll outward until your whole foot touches down. Only then do you shift your weight from your rear foot." He stood and demonstrated how to move with long, silent strides.

"Practice" he explained. "If the camel walks too slowly, it will reveal our presence. You must be quiet, and you must be swift."

Jaheje's feet bled badly the first day; he nearly fainted from the pain. He practiced long after the caravan stopped and the ground cooled. By the fourth day, the pain was so intense, he used a bit of leather to bite down on. Shahib complimented him on his technique.

Shahib laughed as he indicated it to the other boys. "Watch" he said. "Jaheje is quieter than me. Copy how he moves. Each step as soft as a mouse, each stride as long as a gazelle. Yes, this is how you survive Sai Kahleek."

Longing as much for the older boy's praise as the training he needed to survive, Jaheje soon followed him everywhere. He saw how Shahib rested with one foot raised and wrapped around the pendant spear. He saw how Shahib retied the spear's pendant every morning, making sure the flag's cut-cloth always flowed like the leaves of a desert palm. He saw how Shahib's eyes searched the desert in a pattern, over and over, stopping only when he closed them for sleep.

After the second moon, they arrived. From the top of the dunes, Jaheje looked down at the skeleton of the dead god. No one knew what the monster had been when alive, but its huge ribs raked into the sky, each casting a shadow that engulfed the caravan as they passed. Its bones meant they were entering the Sai Kahleek.

Northerners called Sai Kahleek the "Bone Sea" but this was a mistranslation. The Laaji tribes had never seen an ocean. Sai was the word the Laaji used for plains of sand and loosely packed rock, which were slow and painful to walk on. It meant the land was pockmarked with tunnels. It meant the Xer'Sai preyed here. It meant death lurked beneath the sand.

Dragging the old camel behind them, the team of boys left before dawn, a half day's march ahead of the caravan.

Jaheje found his first burrow on the second day, and waved his signal flag. Shahib soft-stepped over to him. They approached the burrow cautiously and stopped a dozen yards from it. Its opening was no larger than a melon, but from it, the poisonous vapors of activity brewed. Shahib sent one of the boys back to redirect the caravan.

Jaheje looked back and asked Shahib "Can we kill a Xer'Sai that large?"

Shahib scratched his chin, responding "Their skin gets harder with age." Slowly, a grin appeared proudly. "Last season I killed one the size of a jackal. We lost the camel, but I killed it."

Jaheje smiled, enjoying his mentor's boast. But he found himself asking "Does Rek'Sai exist?"

Shahib chilled, his mood suddenly bitter. "I have seen her." But before Jaheje could ask about the famous beast, Shahib stood and told Jaheje to keep moving. They crept away from the burrow, listening, waiting, scanning the horizon for any movement.