Ivern: Gift of Venom

For most people, a hundred years is a very long time. In a century, one could explore the entire world, meet thousands of people, or complete countless works of art. Now, anyone could easily assume that standing in one spot for over a century would be a colossal waste. But during that time, Ivern Bramblefoot accomplished more than any could dream.

For instance, he settled a longstanding dispute between a colony of lichen and their host boulder, helped each generation of winter squirrels find their forgotten autumn acorns, and coaxed a lone wolf to rejoin her pack, despite the fact that they once called her howling "shrill."

Ivern's toes burrowed deep beneath the topsoil, curled between vigilant tubers and oblivious earthworms to mingle with the roots of older trees, and the forest around him bloomed. There was much more, of course, but those examples alone are proof enough of a good century's work.

Things were going swimmingly until the sassafras started murmuring about dark doings on the edge of the forest.

Hunters! they cried through their roots, alarming half the forest.

Ivern knew sassafras to be anxious trees, raising their leaves in panic over the slightest stray saltsnail, and after all, hunting wasn't so bad, for nothing is wasted or senseless in the cycle of life. But the sassafras had worried the robins, who told the butterflies, and if butterflies knew a secret, so did the entire forest.

So Ivern stood up, and after briefly soothing the clipper ant colony whose ancestral home he had just displaced, he stalked away, shaking off layers of crusty bark. With each flower-blooming step through the forest, the alarm grew more frantic.

Three of them, nattered the squirrels.

Eyes like twin blood moons, gibbered the scuttle-crabs as they hid in the river.

More bloodthirsty than elmarks, proclaimed the elmarks.

The peregrines swore the hunters were after their eggs. The ivory-wreathed chrysanthemum feared for her illustrious petals—that worried Daisy, who loved her flowers dearly. Ivern calmed each of them, and urged them to hide until trouble passed. He pretended not to notice Daisy following him, since she thought herself to be quite sneaky.

He saw an eight-tusked shagyak dead in the grass. Three arrows were thrust deep into the thick hump of muscle at the base of its neck. As a sappy tear escaped Ivern's eye, a squirrel he'd named Mikkus scampered up the Green Father's chest and lapped it off his cheek in solace.

"Hunters take meat for food," Ivern said aloud. "Hunters whittle bone into toys and tools. Hunters sew pelts into garments and tan skin into boots."

The corpse was missing its eight shimmering, pearlescent tusks. Ivern touched the ground, and a circle of daisies bloomed around the dead shagyak. He saw a baby stonescale viper slithering away. Stone-scale vipers are wise beyond their years.

"Ssssssssafe?" the snake hiss-asked.

Ivern knew snakes were embarrassed by their lisps and for a long time had avoided words with sibilant sounds. He'd challenged them to embrace the words they feared the most, but they took the lesson to heart and now spoke exclusively in words beginning "s."

Snakes; such overachievers.

"It's safe now, little one." Poor thing must've witnessed the whole ordeal. "Coil up here and watch the shagyak for me," Ivern urged the baby viper. "I'll return once I get to the bottom of this."

The shagyak horns clacked relentlessly with each step Risbell took, so much so that she had to stop and repack the tusks lest the noise scare off their next kill. Upriver, those horns would earn them a fortune. City people paid well for half-cocked backwater remedies these days.