City of Iron and Glass

"Hurry up, Wyn!" shouted Janke. "The Rising Howl's on its way!"

"I know!" he shouted back. "You don't need to tell me!"

Wyn could hear the squeal of greased iron and the taste of metal tingling on his teeth. The interior of the vent pipe he was climbing vibrated with the hexdraulic elevator's approach.

He pushed his back against the beveled ironwork, keeping his cramping legs braced on the opposite side. Looking up, the square of light that was the way out of the pipe seemed impossibly distant. A head appeared above him; his older brother, Nico.

"Almost there, little man," said Nico, reaching back to offer his hand to Wyn. "You need me to come down?"

Wyn shook his head and dug deep, pushing with his spine straight as the muscles in his legs burned. Step by step, he inched upward until he was close enough to reach for his brother's hand.

Nico grabbed his wrist and hauled, pulling him from the pipework. Wyn landed badly and stumbled, falling flat on his face in the cliff-side alcove known to every kid in Zaun. The space was barely wide and tall enough for them to stand next to each other with a sheer drop at the edge. Maybe ten yards beyond the edge were the elevator's three support columns, each two yards wide and wrought from heavy ironwork.

Feen stood at the farthest part of the ledge, looking down with a manic grin. The wind billowed around him, his patchwork clothes flapping and his hair wild. Kez stood next to Nico, her cheeks flushed with excitement. Janke beat a nervous tattoo on his thigh with the palm of his hand, glowering at Wyn.

"You almost made us miss it."

"Howl ain't here yet," snapped Wyn. "We ain't missed nothing."

Janke glared at Wyn, but with Nico here, he didn't dare say or do anything. Back at Hope House for Foundling Children, Janke was a bully, but a bully it was sometimes handy to have around when low-rent Chem-Baron thugs fancied kicking downward.

Kez reached to help Wyn up. He smiled and took her hand.

"Thanks," he said.

"My pleasure," she said, leaning in to be heard over the noise.

Wyn smelled the caustic soap she'd washed with that morning - like chemical lemon juice. Given the nature of this excursion, she'd made an effort with her clothes too, digging out an old dress from the boxes of clothes discarded by kids who'd outgrown them, or who'd left the foundling home when they got too old. Wyn had beaten the worst of the dust and grime from his own threads, but he suddenly felt acutely scruffy next to Kez.

"I've never ridden the Howl," she said, still holding tight to his hand. "Have you?"

The screeching roar was getting louder. The clattering rattle of the elevator's mechanisms echoed deafeningly from the dripping, algal-green walls of the alcove. Feen was looking back at him and Janke had an ugly grin plastered over his face. Fear of looking like a dumb kid made the lie easier to tell.

"Me? Yeah, loads!" he said, knowing instantly it was a mistake. Wyn glanced over his shoulder. The others were gathered at the edge; legs braced, leaning into the wind.

Wyn leaned close to Kez's ear.

"Sorry, I don't know why I said that," he said. "I ain't done this before. Not never once. Don't tell the others, but I'm crapping it."

She let out a relieved breath.

"Good. I didn't want to be the only one."

Riding the Rising Howl was one of many rites of passage for the kids of Zaun. Like reaching the top of Old Hungry with all your limbs intact, cutpursing a baron's man or playing knock-and-run with a stilt-walking sump-scrapper. Zaun had a seemingly endless procession of insanely dangerous tests you had to pass to truly count yourself a hard-bitten street kid.