CHAPTER 6 Part 2 IN THE COMELINESS OF THE SHADOWS VI

Start from the beginning

She politely replies,

COMMANDER'S WIFE

"Shut up you lucky bastard and eat your food. You should be grateful for that."

The Commander shakes his head and pulls the knife from the table. He cuts a piece off, handing it to Leith. Leith is amused about his mother because she isn't like the other ladies in the village. Instead of giving her child or husband servings first, she always takes the first bite. Leith giggles because of the way his mother eats. She tears into it like she has never been fed before.

His father cuts himself a slice. He eats.

Leith's Mother and Father have a conversation.

FATHER

"I'm going to go to battle tomorrow. This other barbarian city keeps attacking the gates when they are closed stealing the crops from the farm. Our people will win. It's a fairly new town. Their arrows are made with stone heads and not iron. We will kill them off."

MOTHER

"Why don't you stay here and let me go instead?"

FATHER

"You know it's your duty to take care of our son until he reaches sixteen? What if something happens to you?"

MOTHER

"You big log head. I was just joking. Unlike you, I rather keep my life for a couple more years. Go on off and die will you. Anyway, I was thinking about marrying the young man in the market place if you lose your life. He is so cute, and well mannered."

His father slaps the table.

FATHER

"That bastard! I'll kill him!"

Leith laughs hard especially when his father slaps the table like that. The Commander stands up with a face full of hog juice. He walks toward the door.

His mother gets up. She runs and jumps on his back...

MOTHER

"Not if I kill you first."

FATHER

"You sexy whore, come with me."

She chokes his neck. The Commander is too overpowering. She can't get a strong enough grip to hurt him. He carries her into their bedroom then slams the door shut.

Leith enjoys his crazy family. He cuts another piece of the hog and eats it.

What his Father Remembers

The Commander and his Wife's room is saturated with dirt. The walls are made of logs insulated with mud. The floor has leaves spread across it--along with long stems of hay. The bed is soft. It's a gigantic pillow stuffed with cotton and leaves. The Commander's wife gets off his back, climbs on the bed, and takes off her clothes.

The Commander stares at her. Her sweet actions are tenderizing to the sight. A gorgeous creature is totally in love with him. He wants to make sure that she gets all the attention that she earns for. He takes his shirt off.