Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine
I tossed and turned that night, but no nightmares plagued my dreams. If anything, the white silence was worse. At 5 am, I couldn't do it anymore. I swung off the bed and walked over to my vanity. I laughed aloud at the image staring back at me.

Despite my sleepless nights and my increased stress, I'm practically glowing. More than usual, really. I rolled my eyes at the sight and threw my hair up into a messy bun. I stripped out of my sweaty clothes and threw on a hoodie and spandex. I looked at the clock and sighed. 5:36.

I shrugged, not really caring about waking anyone up as I exited my room. I need a breather. This place is much smaller than the fae castle, and much easier to navigate. I was outside fairly quickly. Once the morning air hit me, I shivered. The seasons are definitely changing. I can practically smell fall in the air.

I want to walk through the town, but that means walking through the woods to get there. If I go through the woods, Michael Myers could come out and kill me. It is fall, which means it's almost Halloween. It's his time. But, I am pretty powerful now. I think I could take on some random old guy with a knife.

With that thought in mind, I squared my shoulders and headed toward the forest.

"What are you doing," an amused voice asked from behind me.

I whirled around, crossing my arms in the process. "Braving the forest."

Rowan shook his head with a smile. "Freya, you could fling a guy away from you with your mind, and even control him to do what you say. Why on earth are you afraid of a little woods?"

I huffed out a breath. "You never know what could happen."

Rowan laughed. "Maybe."

I shrugged and turned to walk in the woods before Rowan called to me again. I looked over my shoulder and raised my eyebrows.

"While we have the time, maybe we should work on your fighting skills."

I tilted my head and thought about it for a moment before nodding. It would be something to do, at least. Who knows what I would have done once I actually got into town.

Rowan led us back into the house and to their work out room. He led us to the fighting ring like before. I shrugged my hoodie off, knowing I'm going to get hot and sweaty right away. Good thing I slipped a sports bra on underneath.

Rowan grinned at me and shrugged his shirt off as well. I tried to keep my attention firmly on his face, but my gaze kept slipping. I really need to get used to seeing guys shirtless. This is ridiculous.

Rowan began to circle me, and I prepared myself for a fight. I analyzed his every movement, including the way Belle seemed to slither around his arm every time he moved. I swear, she even winked at me.

Rowan swung at me, and I barely deflected it in time. Rowan shook his head at me. "You can't get distracted. You have to be ready for a fight at all times."

I huffed through my nose. I deflected it, isn't that enough? Before I could complain more, Rowan was coming at me again. This time, his kick sent me to the ground. At the last second, I grabbed his arm and brought him down with me.

Rowan hopped to his feet and nodded. "That was good."

He offered a hand to me and I took it gratefully. Instead of helping me, however, he used my vulnerability to pin me to the ground again. "You never assume the person you are fighting with is a friend. In the ring and otherwise, they are always your enemy. Treat them as such."

His face was so close to mine, I could feel his hot breath on my face. His bright eyes bore into mine, but I tried to follow his advice and not let it distract me. He is the enemy right now. I kept my stare in his as I slowly brought my legs up as high as I could. Then, I kicked up. Rowan was caught off guard, and went flying off of me. He landed a few feet away, a large grin on his face.