Prologue

The sky always was extraordinary once I looked up and laid motionless, enjoying the last glances I had the chance to view. The clouds seemed driftless along with the birds that accompanied it, their wings spread high and free to escapes the troubles of the world.

I closed my eyes as I felt the kicks received by my "brothers and sisters", my tummy hurting when I felt the tip of their shoes hit my ribs and other places.

"You Dork!"

"No one will ever love you!"

"Youre in here for a reason!"

I covered my glasses as the dirt from the sandbox hit my eyes, my friends not leaving me alone even after I had gave them my dessert from lunch.

Why did they hate me?

I never enjoyed going outside during free time, I would always rather be inside my room that I shared with 3 other boys and read books or watch tv.

But No.

Today was the day parents were supposed to come and take a look at us,

Orphanage Kids.

I never got my hopes up though, I knew no one would ever pick me. Most couples tended to choose the little girls who could brag about how much they love to play ball or the boys who were insterested in soccer.

But me? I like reading.

No one loves a dork like me.

"Boys, Boys, Leave your brother Louis Alone! Dont want the parents to arrive any minute now and find how naughty you boys are!"

I coughed as Mom Theresa came over and moved my brothers and sisters away from me, my ribs reallly hurting from the kicks. I clutched at my stomach and sighed, biting my lip so tears wouldnt come out.

"Now Now Louis, Dont cry. No one likes a cry baby."

"O-Ok Mom."

"Its Theresa, Louis."

"O-Ok Theresa."

Oh Yeah, Did I mention she didnt like to be called mom?

*****

I watched as dozens of couples came into our backyard, all my brothers and sisters beggining to act like if they were angels from above. I could tell many of these people had already looked at the portofolios of many of them,the strangers going immeadtly to different children and igniting conversation with them.

I didnt care.

I was 14. Just four more years and I would get out of here by myself. I didnt need no one.

I turned around as the backayard got filled with parents, heading towards the swing set at the way back of the house.

So what if no one wanted me? I didnt need no one.

I swang slowly back and forth on the red swinging, ignoring the imaginary voices in my head that kept calling my name.

No one could be calling me right now, everyone was too busy with all the other boys and girls. Mother Theresa had told me before If I wanted someone to adopt me, I needed to change. I didnt want to change. I wanted to be me.

I liked wearing my colorful pants and striped shirts that never matched with my shoes or my scarfs. I didnt want to go to the eye doctor to get contacts, I liked my glasses. I didnt want to play football like most of the boys here, I wanted to read books. I didnt want to cut my hair into short mohawks like my brothers, I liked my long, bowly hair.