28 "You can say that again"

Start from the beginning

"Your dad won't be coming home again Emily, I've secured him a place at a really good hospice that will look after him"

I scoff. Shes acting like she's doing my dad a fucking favour.

"How nice of you" I sneer. I make sure to slam the door on my way out.

*********

I dont cry. I refuse to cry anymore, especially over someone as selfish as the woman who calls herself my mom.

My breath is ragged by the time I make it to Hunters apartment. I've ran most of the way, and I hate running. I'm sweaty and gross and have absolutely zero to wear for our date.

I press the buzzer to his apartment and a few seconds later his voice comes through the intercom. "Yep"

"Hunter, its me." I reply waiting for him to buzz me in instantly.

I wait a few seconds and he seems to hesitate for a bit. "Hunter." I repeat and the door unlocks, letting me in. I take the stairs two at a time and almost trip on my face but I catch myself just in time. I just want to be wrapped up in Hunters arms and forget all the shit that happened with my mom.

When I make it to his apartment on the third floor, the door is already open and Hunter greets me with a small smile. "I wasn't expecting you until later."

"Surprise" I say deflated and I can feel my eyes burning with unshed tears.

"What's wrong?" He asks closing the door slightly and coming toward me. He raises his hand to my cheek gently, his caring nature taking over immediately.

"I just really wanted to see you" I tell him as I snuggle into his chest and he wraps his arms around me. I feel relieved straight away. Like his touch can take all of my worries away. "I had a huge fight with my mom. I'm sorry for just showing up like this."

He soothes me, rubbing my back slowly. "You're welcome here anytime. Don't apologise." He sends me a fleeting smile before becoming serious again. "You're not the only one to surprise me tonight though Em, Candice is here."

I literally feel the colour drain from my face. Of course she is. Because this day just keeps getting better and fucking better.

I take a step back but he grabs both of my hands in his. "I swear Emily, we're friends. That's it. I would really like it if you would come in and meet her properly."

Talk about pressure.

"I dont know Hunter. I-"

"I get it. I understand how you're probably feeling but trust me. Please." His perfect eyes are so sincere and I start to lose my resolve. "Please. She really wants to meet you."

How am I supposed to go in that apartment and act all friendly with Hunters ex. Okay, so technically, they were never together, but she's still slept with him. Numerous times.

She's a stunning goddess and i'm a hot mess right now. I would have at least sprayed a little deodorant had I known little miss perfect boobs and full pouty lips was going to be here.

"Please. I dont want to leave you alone when your like this. And I do really want to introduce you to her... As my girlfriend." He smirks slightly when he says the word and I have to laugh. It sounds so foreign yet so right at the same time.

I take a deep breath and run a hand through my long, birds nest hair. "Okay, I'll come in" I answer and Hunter rewards me with a triumphant smile.

He interlocks our fingers and pulls me into the apartment. The first thing I see is Candice in all her perfection, she's sitting on the sofa, skin glowing a soft bronze and her hair curled immaculately.

She smiles at me, and it seems genuine. Not forced or fake. A real, genuine smile. "Good to see you again Emily." she says and I try my hardest not to sound like a bitch when I reply.

"You too." Is all I can manage.

"Em, this is Candice. Candice this is my girlfriend, Emily." Hunter says and I have to smile because it's the first time he's ever introduced me to someone as such.

She doesn't get up but she does send a little wave in my direction. "Nice to officially meet you" She responds as Hunter leads me to the sofa opposite Candice. I sit down, pulling at the sleeves of my plain, long sleeve top anxiously.

"Can I get you a drink or something?" Hunter asks and I nod, still feeling parched from my run.

I'm glad his apartment is all open plan, so he can't leave me alone with Candice. "Water Please." I reply and he goes to retrieve it straight away.

"Look, Emily." Candice says a little quieter so we're not heard by Hunter. I feel butterflies swirling in my stomach. "I know Hunter and I have a history together and this is probably really weird for you."

"You can say that again" I mumble and she laughs, even her laugh is other worldly.

"I'm not trying to step on any toes here, I get that you two are together and I respect that. I would never try to come inbetween you two." She sounds like she's telling the truth but then again I don't even know the girl. She could be a manipulative bitch with a hidden agenda for all I know.

"Thank you" I say to be polite. I dont know what else to say to be honest.

"At one point, I always assumed I would end up with Hunter, but I can see how happy he is with you, i'm glad he has you" she smiles at me again.

Again, her words surprise me, I didn't expect her to be so... Nice?

I actually begin to let my guard down, I feel my earlier anxiety about the situation disappear and I smile back.

"I appreciate that Candice" I reply as Hunter rejoins us on the sofas, my drink in hand.

He leans in and kisses my head gently and smiles at us both. "So, unfortunately date night will have to wait. I have nothing to wear." I explain to Hunter and he looks disappointed for a split second.

Candice stands then and the intimidation washes over me once again. Her legs go on for miles, and i'm like a little oompa loompa.

"You're having date night" She declares with determination, there's really no room for any arguments. "I've got three suitcases full of unworn clothes over there" she points to a corner where her luggage sits.

How long is she planning to stay?

"I do have one favour to ask though, in exchange for a kick ass, sexy outfit" she says, her eyes looking hopeful. "Can I be an awkward third wheel and tag along?"

Fuck my life!