28 "You can say that again"

Well, this is a first. My mouth is hanging open at the suggestion. I must have hit my head pretty hard or I've entered a parallel universe where my mom actually wants to spend time with me.

She's prancing around the kitchen like nothing is wrong, its creepy and worrying and I dont know what the fuck is going on so I sit down at the breakfast bar and wait for her to explain.

"I just thought I would cook you a decent meal, you can't live on bagels and takeout forever." She smiles at me as she removes something that looks a lot like lasagne from the oven.

She could have thought about this last week when I was left alone, friendless and worrying about my dad.

"You're barely home these days, what's changed?" I ask. I've never had an amazing relationship with my mom. Ive always been a daddy's girl but our relationship never seemed strained or forced. Now though, somethings changed. It feels like she's changed.

"Nothings changed, I just wanted to make a meal and have dinner with my daughter, is that okay with you?" she asks. I know something is up, she would never willingly want to spend time with me, especially recently. She's got something to tell me.

"That depends" I reply. "Do you even care about what dad is going through?"

"How could you even ask that Emily?" she seems miffed I even asked. "I loved your dad"

"Loved? As in past tense?" I scowl at her and she takes off the pink oven gloves she's wearing and joins me, taking the stool beside me.

Today was supposed to be a good day, and it has been up until now that is. I was supposed to go to school and then come home to get dressed for a date with Hunter, it was supposed to be our first outting as an official couple, letting everyone know we are together and nothing is going to change that.

Sure, the thought of being judged and the weird stares make me feel sick to my stomach but we would get through it together.

My mom sighs heavily and I just know, a full on lecture is on its way. "Emily, I have spent the last twenty eight years with your father, been in Love with him even longer than that, I've looked after him, well, I might add since I was eighteen. I'll always love your dad, he gave me you but sometimes things happen that make people grow apart."

"That's bullshit mom, you never grew apart. He got sick, and you can't be bothered with him anymore." I stand up, ready to storm out, I can't sit here and listen to her anymore. The woman disappears for days at a time, not giving a shit what her only daughter is up to, it's like she doesn't give a fuck, about me or my dad.

"You know what? You're right. I might be selfish and self centred but for twenty eight years I have washed clothes and cooked meals, I've been by your fathers side cheering him on when he needed it and consoling him when he was upset. I've done everything for him. I think now, I deserve to live my life for me and not someone else."

"Do you realise you sound like a heartless bitch? What the fuck is wrong with you?" I scream. I'm so fucking pissed right now. She doesn't give two fucks whats happening or how this is affecting me. As long as she's happy.

"Language, Emily!" She scolds me for swearing.

"So that's it then?" I say ignoring her scolding, "You're just giving up on him?"

"He's not even there to give up on! That man in the hospital isn't your father, he isn't the man I fell in love with and married" She yells so loudly, her voice echos off of the kitchen walls. "He's just a shell of a man."

Tears form in my eyes, I can't be here, I need to get out. My first thought is to run to Tara but then I remember she hates me so I stomp my way to the back door, I need to find Hunter.