♚〡TEN

"Alright, listen here, bucko. You can stay here, but my parents cannot know. So we have to figure it out, alright?"

What was she doing? She was literally talking to an animal. Somehow, it felt like the wolf had understood her. She smiled and petted him before standing up and walking to the kitchen.

"Come on, Leif, let's eat!"

They ate together, and when the sun set, they made their way up to her room. They watched TV together and Eve didn't feel so lonely after a while. When the front door opened, she gently ushered the wolf under her bed.

Austin came in with a soft smile. "How was your day?"

"It was okay, daddy. How was yours?"

"It was okay darling." He smiled and kissed his daughter's cheek before exiting her room. When the coast was clear, she allowed the wolf back on her bed.

"Leif, you make this big world seem just a little tinier," she smiled down at him.

On Sunday evening, her parents had reminded her that they would not be home until Monday evening. They left, and Eve was alone with her pal. She sat in front of him to have a stern talk.

"I have school tomorrow..."

He looked at her as his ears flopped.

"I'll be gone for most of the day. I won't be back until three. Will you be okay?" Eve wanted to figure out if she should let Leif outside or keep him inside all day. She decided to keep the garage side door open so he could have shelter. She took him to the garage and showed him the door. "I'll leave this open. I'll keep food in here if you get hungry and I'll come home as soon as I get off school." She felt like a mother leaving her baby home for the first time. They both went outside one last time before heading to bed for the night.

The next morning, Eve got dressed and kissed her wolf goodbye before taking him down to the garage. She locked the door to her home but kept the side garage door open. With a nervous glance back at Leif, she headed to her car and went to school.

June greeted her friend as soon as she walked into their English class. Almost immediately June could smell the hint of shifter on her friend. It was different from her scent, Adlaric's, or Dimitri's. June raised an eyebrow.

"Who have you been hanging out with this weekend?"

"Oh, just myself," Eve had lied. June, besides the obvious scent, could hear the increase in Eve's heartbeat. Her friend was lying to her, and she didn't know why.

When school was over, Eve all but raced to her locker to get her car keys.

"Hey Eve, do you want to hang out tonight?"

Eve pouted at June. She felt bad, but she had to get back to Leif. Eve missed her friend, though.

"Sure, June. I'll see you at your house later. Text me."

Eve was gone before June could even get a word out. June watched as her friend left.

•••

"Leif, buddy!"

Eve smiled as the little wolf ran to her. She opened the door to the house and let both of them in. The tiny wolf yipped, and Eve smiled at him.

Eve soon realized Leif was the ultimate distraction from her homework. He would playfully jump on the kitchen table and beg her to pet him or play with him. Each time she gave in. Eventually, she gave up and spent her time with her pet. When the sun was setting, she got a text from her mom saying they would both be home a day later than anticipated. Eve was relieved.