At that point, Oliver started rubbing his temples. I felt sorry for him. There was so much he didn't know, and so much to take in all at once.

"Everything is so confusing," he admitted silently.

"It's all right. You don't need to worry about these things. I will teach you everything I know, in time," Mrs. Bundt spoke with a kind smile on her face. "I'm so happy I finally have the chance to talk with you about all this."

"I'm sorry I didn't listen," Oliver said. "Back then..."

"What you saw at that house would have driven anyone mad. They are true nightmares, and you saw two people you trusted turning into those things," Mrs. Bundt spoke with a sad voice.

Oliver nodded slowly. I was angry, but I couldn't point my anger at anyone. I was so mad that he got hurt, and I really wanted to find those people, his foster parents. I didn't even know what happened exactly, but I knew it was bad. I could still feel what Oliver was feeling, maybe because he was my mate or because I still had his Echo in me, and whenever his foster parents were mentioned his fear got worse.

"I can't believe I didn't notice anything weird about me," Oliver suddenly said.

Mrs. Bundt laughed lightly, and shook her head. "That reminds me of the first time Miss Washington noticed something was off with you..."

"What happened?" Oliver asked.

"It happened almost three years ago. I was running errands and left her in charge, and when I got back she came running to me, panicking, and told me she lost you. She said she could have sworn she saw you walking upstairs a moment ago, but you weren't there anymore... And at that same moment you came walking down, freaking her out even more," Mrs. Bundt said. "It would've been fine, but it started happening again and again, so eventually, I had to tell her about us."

"She knows?" Oliver asked with wide eyes.

"She and a few others," she nodded. "But you see, this town is our land. Supernatural beings like living in here because it's so peaceful under our protections. For example, Stella is a witch, and Mrs. Bentley's grandmother got turned into a zombie by accident, so it was easy to tell them. But Miss. Washington had no idea, so it took me quite long to calm her down after she saw you disappearing in thin air."

"O-Oh..." Oliver muttered.

"You didn't phase out often at home, but at school... Well, we got a lot of calls that you never arrived, even when one of us dropped you off," Mrs. Bundt said.

"That explains why I felt so invisible there..." Oliver muttered, and I started hating myself now.

"Now you know the truth, and I can teach you," Mrs. Bundt said. "But first, I need to deal with that Shadow Walker. This town is my responsibility."

"In the meantime, you have us," Tilly told Oliver with a smile. "We can teach you a thing or two as well."

"But what are we going to do now?" Oliver asked. "About Jack? Is he still after me?"

"My friends and I are going after him as soon as they arrive," Mrs. Bundt said and stood up. "They have summoned spirits to help us find him and the Shadow Walker. By the end of the day, we will know exactly who they are, how many there are, and where they are hiding. This ends tonight."

"What are we going to do?" Oliver asked.

Mrs. Bundt peered out of the window again, and took her sweet time before she finally replied. "It's not safe for you out there. I want you to stay here. We can put up protections so strong that even an army of Shadow Walkers can't get through it."