Hessonite

Warp pads intrigued me.

As a ruby, I'd never had the chance to find out how they worked, and so I never knew what was outside of the beam.

I clutched Ruby's gem tightly in my hand, next to the denhancer, feeling the smooth but cool stone over. I wondered if I'd still get sent out on missions, even without her by my side. I'd much rather just sit... alone with her.. Waiting..

I couldn't function without Ruby.

She was quiet. Everything was quiet. Too quiet.

A tense quiet.

In the warp stream, almost everyone looked grim, the fallen gems being carried carefully by Garnet. Pearl still had her spear out, holding tightly like she was ready to use it. Rose had a thin smile on her face, like a shadow of the grin on Hessonite's.

It looked genuine. Was it from the joy of becoming a crystal gem? It had to be.

I didn't want to contemplate the alternatives.

Cobalt hadn't come back with us. She had no reason to any more. But I missed her comforting presence. She'd made everything feel a bit safer.

"Rose.."Hessonite spoke after a while. Pearl tensed up even more at her voice. "Why did you trust me?"

"Because everyone has good in them,"Rose replied instantaneously, her pink curls oscillating as she turned her head to her, "including super-powerful gems, like you"

"Do they?"Hessonite replied quietly, softly even,"Do they really? Good is relative. So is evil. There's no such thing as a good war, no matter how you look at it."

Everyone was silent.

"In the end, "Hessonite spoke louder now, bringing her hand to her chest,"The only reason to fight at all is loyalty."

Before anyone could do anything, Hessonite slammed the shaft of her scythe into Pearl's head with a resounding crack. Pearl flew backwards, passing through the wall of the warp stream. Garnet stretched her arm through the stream to pull her back, but before she could block, Hessonite's scythe had slashed through her neck.

Garnet evapourated into light.

"You trust too easily, Rose quartz,"Hessonite declared, as we finally touched down on the base warp pad.

Rose brought her shield up in front of me, drawing her sword as soundlessly.

A blue gem-one of Garnet's- bounced once, before coming to rest on the warp pad. I couldn't see her other gem anywhere, or any of the other gems we'd been with.

"Cobalt was right,"I whispered,"Rose, you need the deenhancer." I held it out to her.

She took it without a word.

A ground-shaking explosion split the air above us, before I noticed the giant shadow we were standing in. Giant boulders hailed down around us, all of them falling far enough away not to deal any damage.

"Surprise."Hessonite whispered.

Above us floated something yellow that took up the entire sky, with cannons glowing like stars going supernova. This was a diamond-warship. No smaller ships diverged from it. None of them were necessary. The hail of lasers it was firing at us would be enough to bury the entire base.

The rock face above us had millions of craters scorched into it, the glory of the sculpture hewn into it now gone. 

Another explosion shook the ledge we stood on, before the roof of the giant entrance collapsed in on itself, blocking off our only way out.

"Your base is taken,"Hessonite announced,"Your armies are ruined. Rose quartz, you have failed. Earth will belong to the diamonds, now and forever-more."

This seemed like the last straw for rose, because she leapt into action, bringing down her sword in a flurry of strikes. Hessonite blocked all of them, sweeping he scythe across the ground in a slash. Rose leapt up, aiming for her gem with the deenhancer.

I didn't see any more.

Because I had to get everyone out of the temple. The first boulder in my way was huge. I probably couldn't have dented it if I still had access to my gem weapon, but Ruby was still reforming. I slipped through a crack between the boulders and kept going. It was dark. A kind of foreboding dark. A tense dark

I thought I could make it inside. Tell everyone to evacuate. There was probably a secret exit somewhere most of them could slip through unnoticed.

But that thought was wrong.

Another explosion shook the rock above me, and a heavy weight dropped onto me. My body slammed to the ground painfully, but I kept Ruby's gem clutched tightly in my right hand. I would never let her go.

Shards of rock pressed into my body from all angles. Maybe... Maybe if Ruby was here we could help each other out of this.

Any more pressure on me and I was sure I'd poof. 

I wondered if they could rebuild the temple. Maybe not here.

Maybe on a beach. Near the sea.

Somewhere less conspicuous. Calmer. Quieter.

It was almost so sad it was funny.

Had I honestly thought a couple of imperfect Rubies could survive a whole war. We'd survived so much, only to be crushed to shattering by the remnants of our own base.

Another explosion shook the world, accompanied by a sharp pain in my right hand.

A whole stalactite was embedded in it, going through into the ground below me. Glowing red shards lay scattered around my hand.

So that was it.

Our end.

The short lives of two twin rubies.

We went through a lot of pain and hardships together.

And we could've lived a bit longer if we'd stayed on Hessonite's side 

But still.

I closed my eyes, feeling my form evaporate with an overwhelming sense of finality.

Still.

I didn't regret any of it.