The Red Dahlia // Part Three

Start from the beginning

"Archie," I moved sit next to him as Veronica went in the hospital room. "Are you okay?"

He sighed and sat up straight to face me. "This whole thing is crazy, you know? I had this built up frustration and rage and I came here to... to I don't even know, and then someone tried to kill him when I was here? I mean, how messed up can everything get, Savanna?"

I let out a small laugh at his question and leaned my arm on the side of the bench. "If I had an answer, I'd give it to you, Archie, but this one's left up in the air."

"Van," I looked up as Veronica came back into the hallway. "Do you mind if I talk to Archie for a moment?" I shook my head and stood up before walking into room 260 for the first time in a while. To my surprise, and a smidge of dismay, Hiram was awake, and he was looking straight at me.

"Princesa," He greeted as I closed the door behind myself. "It's good to see you."

I nodded as I bit my lip. "You too."

"Come sit," He motioned to the chair next to his bed, probably left by Veronica or Mom somewhere down the line. "I had something I wanted to talk to you about."

I moved warily to the seat before crossing one leg over the other and looking up at him. I couldn't remember the last time I was with Hiram alone, or the last time we had a civil conversation. Part of me had a feeling this was Veronica's set-up and she just wanted us to talk it out, but I didn't know what I wanted to happen.

"I know there's been a lot of tension between us for a couple of months now, and I know that has been partially my fault-"

"Partially?" I interrupted with a shocked tone. He gave me a sharp glare causing me to settle back into my seat.

"What I did was wrong, princesa. It took a lot of convincing from your mother for me to see that," He explained, "And I want us to at least be civil with each other, if not reestablish our relationship. Everything that's happened has opened a new perspective for me, and I would appreciate having my two daughters back in the same home."

I exhaled and uncrossed my leg as I took a moment to absorb his words. "While I'm trying to accept your suggestion, it's really hard to. You not only sent me to the Sisters for months to endure their unbearable treatment, but you also targeted Jughead, and you were working alongside Paul for who knows how long. There's many pieces in there that aren't forgivable." Silence overwhelmed the room for a moment as we tried to process the conversation at hand.

I sighed and stood up to look at Hiram face to face. "There's a part of me that wants to forgive you so that we can get our family back on the same track, but there have been so many instances where both you and Mom have gone back on your word, and that's why I can't completely forgive everything that happened." There was a flicker of disappointment on his expression at my rejection, but I quickly followed it up. "However, I can, and I want, the two of us to restore at least part of our relationship, and I want us to be civil to each other. I hate looking at my father of so many years with a frown."

To my surprise, Hiram smiled and reached out to grab my hand. "You have no idea how much this means to me, mija. Truly."

"Please don't make me regret this," I mumbled as tears filled my eyes. There was so much uncertainty and anxiety that came with what I was agreeing to, and I could even hear Jughead's voice in the back of my head about how bad of an idea this was, but I missed my family. I hated the division between all of us.

"You won't, I promise," He squeezed my hand gently before letting go.

I gave him a small smile as I turned to walk out, but I paused just before opening the door. "Get well soon, Dad."