Just Between Us

Narrator's POV

Loki sat at the rooftop of one of the many tall buildings in New York City. He watched as the sun set slowly, and the lights in the famous city began to light up. Behind him, he heard the wind whirling.

He sighed, his heart pounded hard. He sucked in a breath as straightened his back. He kept his stare on the sunset. "Good evening Stephen." He said.

"Evening." Stephen walked over to him and took a seat next to him. He stared at the same sunset. Their legs dangled hundreds of feet above the concrete sidewalks.

It was quiet between the two.

Loki had so much to get off his chest, but he just couldn't do it. He wasn't brave enough. He opened his mouth to say words, but he lost his voice.

"It's okay Loki. Take your time." Stephen said, placing a hand on Loki's knee.

Loki looked down at Stephen's hand, then at Stephen. His emotions were all tangled. He wanted to cry right there and then.

Stephen noticed Loki looking at him. He turned to the Asgardian. He noticed pools of tears in his eyes, he gave him a soft smile; indicating him that it was okay to cry.

That's when Loki lost it. He let go of everything. He forced his way into Stephen's arms. He poured tears and quiet sobs. Stephen held him close, rubbing his back.

"Shhh. It's okay. I've got you." Stephen said, comforting Loki. "It's okay. No one can hurt you now." He said.

Loki was just a broken spirit. He held so much pain. He had been holding so much back for a long time, and he just couldn't take it anymore.

"I'm sorry Stephen. I didn't mean to." Loki said. "I know it's wrong, and I know it's not fair to you...but I couldn't help myself." Loki explained. "I just feel so lonely." He said. "And you seemed so welcoming. So loving."

Stephen smiled. "Oh Loki." He said softly. "You're not alone. You've never been alone." Stephen explained. "You've always had us."

Loki sniffled and pulled away. He gathered his feelings again. "No Stephen. You don't understand. Every time someone sees me, they always just see the mistakes and wrongs of my past." Loki said. "It makes me so angry." He growled. "No one understands. No one takes the time to try and understand. No matter what I do, I'm always the bad guy. I've tried everything in my power to convince them that I am not the same I was before, but no one seems to give me a chance." Loki clenched his fists and hit them against the concrete. "Why... Why do they have to be so complicated?" He asked. "I jut want to feel wanted. I want to be loved."

"Loki." Stephen placed a hand on Loki's back.
Loki fell into ease. He relaxed for a moment. "The mistakes of your past do not define you." Stephen said.

"You're the only one who seems to see that." Loki said.

"What about Thor?" Stephen asked. Loki looked at him. "I know Thor loves you. He could never hate you, even if you're not his blood brother. He still loves you with all his heart. Has he not tried to show you that?" Loki stayed silent. "Loki, you've never been lonely. You've just been blind. You've been so busy pushing everyone that was trying to help you out away, that you blinded yourself with pain and sorrow." Stephen said. Loki stared at the sunset. "You are worth living Loki. To your brother, to me, to everyone." Stephen stared at the sunset with Loki.

They were quiet again.

"I know you've suffered greatly in the past, but you've got to learn to let go. Otherwise those things will always pull you down. Lighten up a little. Don't beat yourself over things that weren't your fault." Stephen said, placing a hand on Loki's back.

Loki looked at Stephen. "Thank you." He said. A small soft smile crept up on his lips.

"You're welcome." Stephen said, looking at him and returning the smile.

They both looked back at the sunset, watching it go down.

"Can this please stay between us?" Loki asked.

"I won't say a word." Stephen said.