"Ssh" I attempt to sooth her but it just seems to make her worse. "Everything's going to be okay"

I feel her head shake in defiance and look down at her. "I should have been there with her" she says again with more force this time.

"What happened Em?" I ask again softly pushing her hair behind her ear as she moves back slightly to look at me. She looks so torn up, so broken. A far cry from her usual self.

"Nick, he tried, he tried to rape her"

Her words are barely audible but it's like a punch to the stomach. I feel sick. I feel a fiery rage bubbling away inside of me. I want to punch something, preferably Nicks face. Repeatadly.

I pull her out of the apartment without a seconds notice.

Some fucker is going to pay for this.

*********

When we make it to my parents house, Emily goes in first while I wait in the car, Emily says it'll be weird and suspicious if we turn up together, though my sister finding out about my tryst with her best friend is the last thing on my mind right now.

My whole body is shaking. I'm reeling inside and I just want to wrap my arms around Tara and swear never to leave her vulnerable again.

This is my stupid fault.

Emily's sobs could be heard the entire car ride from my apartment back here and it absolutely broke me. She kept blaming herself for not being at the dance, but it was my fault she wasn't there.

I was the one that asked her not to go. If it hadn't been for me, maybe she could have helped in someway, but then again, I don't think I would like Emily to be in that situation.

Even the thought sends a shiver down my spine.

I look at the clock, its only been three minutes since Emily went in there but it feels like hours, what's worse is, when I go in I'll have to act as if I don't know what the fuck has happened.

I wasn't supposed to be with Emily when she got that call.

I jump out the car and practically sprint to the front door, I take a deep breath to compose myself.

The sight I'm greeted with is not what I was expecting. My mom smiles at me as if her daughter hasn't just almost been raped.

"Hello darling. Where have you been?"

I'm confused at first. She should be raging, searching for the bastard that dared to touch her daughter but she's not and I realise it's because Tara hasn't told her what happened.

"Out with a friend" I respond trying to sound calm and collected. "Where's Tara? I need to talk to her"

"Upstairs with Emily. Be nice to her Hunter. She had an argument with Nick at the dance and she's very upset." she's says as she finishes wiping down the large dining table.

If only my mom knew what I know.

"I'm always nice" I respond making my way past her, out the room and up the stairs.

I remember when Emily had tried to convince me Nick was a 'nice guy' she was adamant I had to give him a chance. How fucking wrong she was.

I tap lightly on Taras bedroom door. "Tara" I say gently. "Can I come in?"

I hear shuffling on the other side of the door and my weight instinctively shifts from one foot to the other.

"Can you come back later? I'm having girl talk with Em" I can hear her sniffling and I know she's been crying. I imagine her red, puffy eyes and without giving myself a chance to change my mind, I open the door.

She's standing about two foot away from me, Emily is sitting on the bed, one leg tucked under the other and she's been crying too.

"What's going on?" I ask looking from one to the other.

"Nothing Hunter, can you leave?" Tara says hoping at her eyes.

"Fuck that, tell me why you're crying" I press "I saw Emily run in here, she looked panicked and scared and then I noticed the tears in her eyes and now you're crying so something obviously happened" I feel terrible for lying but I have to get her to talk to me.

Tara sighs and then sniffles a little more before relenting and moving onto the bed. "Come in and close the door" She says defeted and I oblige immediately. I'm surprised she gave in so quick. She knows exactly what happen when she eventually tells me.

Tara takes a deep, steadying breath "What I'm about to tell you doesn't ever leave this room, got it?" she adds sternly.

I can't promise her that. I won't. Not when that bastard should suffer for what he did.

"Tell me what happened." I say a little more forceful, telling her there's no room for argument.

"Hunter" Emily chastises. I know I'm being a prick but I can't help it. My sister is hurt and from her appearance it's more than just emotional.

Her dress is still beautifully immaculate and to anyone else, she would look like a queen. But to me, someone who knows exactly what she's like and how she hates if even a tiny little hair is out of place, I can see the faults.

Her lipstick is slightly smudged and her golden curls are now lifeless and tangled. My hands ball in to fists the minute I notice a very light but visible bruise making itself known from under her skin.

"I'll fucking kill him" I seeth. I can't control my anger any longer. "Did Nick do that to your face?"

Tara's lip trembles as her hand instinctively touches the area just below her left eye and I instantly know I'm right. So not only did he try to rape her, he battered her because she said no?

"I'll fucking kill him" I repeat. I storm out the room determined to find and torture the asshole, I vaguely hear Tara shouting of me and then footsteps behind me. I ignore them and carry on down the stairs and straight out the front door.

"Hunter" I hear Emily shouting my name but I'm too focused on Nick fucking Sawyer and how mangled I'm about to make his face. "Hunter, stop"

"Why?" I spin around to face her. "Why are you protecting him?"

"I'm not!" She yells "You heard what Tara said, she doesn't want anyone knowing about this."

"And you agree with her? Are you fucking crazy? That fucker should suffer for what he did!" I'm so fucking angry, I'm astonished they both think he should get way with this.

"I don't agree with her, but think about what it'll do to you. You'll lose your job Hunter. You could go to prison! You have to be smart about this. Please" she begs as she moves closer to me. "Please, just come back inside" Emily takes my hand and squeezes it gently. "I promise he'll get what he deserves but not now, not like this"

Her words sink in and I attempt to compose myself. I pull her in close and she wraps her arms around my neck as I nuzzle her neck. I don't care who sees us like this. It feels nice to be in her arms, calming almost.

"I can't let him get away with this"

"He won't." she promises, her fingers running through the hair on the back of my neck. I close my eyes and breathe her in, she smells of vanilla and citrus.

I hear a throat clearing from behind me and pull away. At first I think it's Tara.

But then my eyes land on the reality that is so much worse.

"Hi Hunter" She smiles at me sweetly, her eyelashes batting wildly.

"Candice"

Emily looks uncomfortable as her eyes move between us. Rightly so, it's awkward as fuck for me too.

Candice moves toward us, lifting her hand in welcome. "Hi, you must be Tara, I'm Candice. Hunters girlfriend."