Chapter 7

Still, the Legion waited, patience their very nature. The architect would signal them when it was time for action.

[Gan]

What a beautiful day for a hike!

Outside of the settlement, tall whispering grasses sprinkled with colorful wildflowers covered the rolling hills. Between the hills, patches of green brush and small trees clustered in the nooks.

I walked along the cliff edge to the reservoir. More of a large pond, actually, but judging from the height of the dam, it was fairly deep. Grasses, reeds, and small willows grew in the riparian zone while scattered mats of aquatic plants grew in the shallows. I reached down into the cool water and turned over a few rocks, revealing several small aquatic insects. This would make a good fish pond, but unfortunately, I left my fishing pole back on Earth.

I looked up as Bob buzzed past me again. Eventually, the drone would yield a hyper-detailed topographical map of the area, much more accurate than the original planet surveys. I had an idea about how to supply water for irrigation that would not require a new pump, not a conventional one, anyway.

I walked back by some of the grain fields. The green wheat reached upward towared Tau Ceti. Soon to head out, it waved in the breeze. In other fields stood oats, soybeans, dry beans, and perhaps sweet potatoes — food for the masses.

Next came the orchards, where I made a wide circle around the beehives, then swung around to the project sheds behind the greenhouses. Rummaging through the pipe fittings, I laid out the pieces I needed. No one else was around, but hopefully, it would be okay if I used them.

After a beep came from my viewer, indicating that Bob completed its task, the little drone returned and landed by my feet. I scanned through the map Bob generated on my viewer and smiled.

This could work!

Mora seemed a bit stressed out earlier this morning, but perhaps a viable plan for irrigation water would brighten her mood. I paused for a moment at that thought — interesting that her happiness motivated me.

Late in the afternoon as I assembled pipe parts on a gray composite table within an open shed, Mora came by holding two apples, and oh, they looked good. I hadn't eaten since midday when I had a mealbar during my walkabout — as tasteless in paradise as it was on the ship.

With a half grin, she handed me an apple. "One advantage of working at the botanical test plots is first access to fresh produce."

The sweet tartness was almost too much for my taste buds. "Mmm."

"So what are you making?" Mora asked.

I wiped sweet juice from my chin. "A pump."

She wrinkled her brow and tilted her head, causing her ponytail to flip to one side. "Huh?"

"A hydraulic ram pump, an elegant old technology," I explained. "Essentially no moving parts and you can build it with pipe and a few valves. I think it may be the answer to your irrigation problem. The Watchers are suspicious of technology anyway, and they may appreciate a low-tech solution."

Her growing smile brightened her entire face and warmed my heart at the same time. "How does it work?"

I held up the contraption. "It uses the kinetic energy of flowing water. The weighted valve at the end cycles open and close causing pressure surges, which provide the pumping action."

Mora ran her hand along the device. "That is wonderful news. I didn't think there was a solution."

"Well, don't claim victory yet. We still need to try it out. But I'll take the vote of confidence, anyway."