A Shocking Development ::22::

Start from the beginning

“I’m afraid there isn’t much I can do. The brain is an exceptionally difficult organ to heal. From what I’ve gathered the impact affected some of the nerves. I cannot heal them properly. I am not a St. Mungos healer.” she explained to the young sixth year.

“But... how long will I be blind?!” Lennox squeaked uncontrollably. Madam Pomfrey said nothing.

“Madam Pomfrey!” she exclaimed.

“I’m sorry dear... I’m not going to sugar coat it. I  honestly don’t know how long it’ll take. It might never heal itself. You could possibly be blind forever. The truth is Miss Kingsleigh, I have absolutely no idea.” she walked away.

Lennox took in a sharp breath, but immediately felt a reassuring hand on hers. She felt warm tears slowly drip down her face. Her body began to tremor, and she shook her head slowly. She honestly was at a loss of words. 

“Miss Kingsleigh...” he began. She pulled her hand away and buried her face in her hands. She whimpered quietly. Severus felt his heart ache for her. What could he do? There must have been something... 

“Lennocelia.”  he breathed. Completely in shock she looked up, half expecting to magically see her professor sitting before her, but still nothing. Her name sounded so... beautiful against his lips. Wonderful coming off of his tongue. 

“I... will do anything I can. If your sight isn’t back by Friday morning I will visit St. Mungos myself and bring a healer here if I have to. I will see to it that your sight comes back.” he emphasized the word ‘see.’

“Did you just-”

“Make a pun? Yes. I did. Even I can have a sense of humor once in a great while. I’m not completely soulless after all.” he spoke quietly. She laughed like an idiot, leaning her head back and showing off her sparkling white teeth.

It took everything Severus had to not grab the girl and kiss her senseless when she smiled and laughed the way she was doing at this very moment. He had even twitched in his seat, talking himself out of it within half a second.

“Severus... are you alright? Your heartbeat is quickening.” she crossed her legs, leaning back in her chair. His heartbeat was...? What? How on earth... she had made a comment in the tent about his heartbeat... could she hear it?

He listened silently for a moment, indicating that you could not indeed hear anything. It was absolutely quiet in the hospital wing. He knitted his eyebrows, looking at the girl curiously even though he was well aware she could see it.

“How do you..? How are you-”

“I can feel it. In the ground. It’s how I know when you’re lying or not. Or anyone for that matter.” she licked her lips slowly, now getting to her feet. He did so as well, and let her grab onto his arm. They began a slow walk.

“Is that... normal for your-”

“Yes. It’s an earth element conjurer thing. And right now I can tell you’re nervous. Oh, and...” she paused for a moment, stopping in her tracks and feeling the ground. 

“Dumbledore, Crouch, and Harry are about to walk in the door.” she took his arm once more.

“Now... This is getting a bit ridiculous. You can’t possibly know who-”

“Lennox!” exclaimed a young boy as he bolted through the double doors of the hospital wing. Lennox smiled smugly when she was sure Severus was glancing down at her. She let go of Severus’s arm to embrace the young Gryffindor.

“Harry. How did your task go? Are you alright?” she played with his hair seductively, still smugly grinning at Severus who she could tell was watching through the corner of his eyes. Harry rubbed her back. She could feel his glasses against her skin.