Six...

Tristen didn't think things could get worse.

Three papers due. Two more exams. One oral presentation. All leading up to graduation. She'd barely slept, spending hours in front of her laptop screen. She barely had time to think about what happened with James.

She rubbed her eyes, trying to focus on the words, but her fingers ached and she needed a well deserved break. She was exhausted, fighting her closing eyes, nearly out when she heard the tapping on the door.

"Sweetheart...," her mother smiled, fake, yet concerned. Tristen's heart sank. Her parents weren't due in New York for another three weeks. This wasn't good. And judging by the looks on their faces, they only had one goal in mind.

"Mom...dad," she sighed a bit, leaning against the doorframe, "what are you doing here?," she asked and her mother flashed her fake smile again. "Well, we thought we'd enjoy New York for a few weeks," she told her and Tristen had to fight the urge to roll her eyes.

That was a boldfaced lie and she knew it.

"Thought we'd come and take you to dinner," her father spoke up, "any place you'd like." Tristen sighed softly and looked back to her still-open laptop, thinking about the unfinished work. "Dad...," she said, running a hand through her messy hair.

"I have two papers due before 8 AM. I'm running on little sleep and I already ate," she told him. "I can't really afford to run around New York City." She watched as his demeanor visibility shifted and she was admittedly nervous.

"Is there a reason you're so behind, Tristen? Shouldn't you be ahead of the game?" Ah yes, Tristen though, same old speech as usual. It would lead to nowhere but an argument. "I cut off your...extra curricular activities for a reason."

She tended, her jaw clenched. She could see it in his eyes now. He knew.

"You need to be focused. Need to be prepared. Graduation is in three weeks. I want you packed and ready to return to California." Tristen shook her head defiantly. She wasn't having this. Her eyes flickered briefly to her mother.

Stoned out of her mind, of course.

She wondered what it was this time. Xanax, Ativan. Lithium. Didn't matter. She wasn't truly there, and it's not like she'd stand up for her daughter anyway. No, no one defied John French. He was the boss. And Tristen had enough.

"The hell I am...," she told him, digging her heels in. She was no longer a child. Her father's jaw clenched. She watched him clench his fists. "I'm sick of this. Cut me off, I don't give a damn. But I won't come back. I won't spend my life under your thumb."

"Dear...," her mother cooed and Tristen rolled her eyes, snapping her fingers in front of her face. "Like you're even here, Louise," she sneered. "Gotta stay high to live with this asshole," she gestured toward her father, who gripped her wrist roughly and yanked her toward him.

"You disrespectful little brat," he hissed, "you best remember who supports you." His face was barely an inch from his and for the first time in her twenty one years, she no longer feared him. Taking her free hand, she shoved him back, knocking him off his feet.

"Jesus...," she heard Els mutter from behind her, but she ignored it, walking toward her father. "Get the fuck out, stay the hell away from me. I'm done with you, do you understand me? Get on a plane, go back to California. Tell your friends you have no daughter."

She felt alive for the first time in her life. Like she was finally in control. And she knew why. She had James to thank, strange as it sounded. By breaking her, he'd made her stronger. She walked back into the room, slamming the door in the faces of her parents.

"Well, they're dicks...," Els sighed, dropping to the sofa. "And you? You're a fucking badass, Tris. Where in the hell did that come from?" Tristen chuckled and sat down next to her.

"No clue."

"So what happens now? I mean, you certainly ended that," she said and Tristen shrugged. She'd figure it out, she always did. She'd have to, especially now. "Come to Brooklyn. Stay with me," Els said and Tristen nodded. Better than nothing, at least she'd be far away from her parents.

"Steve mentioned a party," Els said after awhile and Tristen looked up from her laptop. "Els, I'm backed up. In over my head," she sighed and Els rolled her eyes. "After finals, dummy. Apparently Clint Barton is throwing it. It's gonna be epic."

Tristen sighed, trying to focus. A party was the last thing she needed. She just wanted to survive the next three weeks. "He thinks you'd be a good match for his best friennnddd," she sang, bouncing on the bed beside Tristen and she groaned, pushing Els off.

"Oh come on," Els laughed from the floor. "It's been too long. Things didn't work out with that Scott guy. You deserve to have some fun. Maybe get laid?," she said, waggling her brows. "Bucky's cute."

Tristen looked up. Bucky? She knew that name. Econ class. And a few others she was certain. "Seeee," Els grinned, "he'd totally hot and totally single. Good for a night or two," she teased and Tristen threw a pillow at her head.

"Come on, Tris. You need to let loose. You've earned it, baby. You don't have to hook up with this guy, but you could definitely use a night out and some free alcohol. And you know it."

Tristen sighed. She knew Els was right. She thought briefly about that Bucky guy. She never remembered saying more than four words to him over four years. He was cute, but he seemed uninterested and totally out of her league.

But it was worth a shot.