Chapter 7: Casualties

I wasn't able to get a hold of Prestley for several days; she wouldn't answer my calls or texts and she avoided me at school, which I thought was ironic. I was the one who should be avoiding her possessed butt, not the other way around. Needless to say, we hadn't used the board again so she could close whatever door she'd opened, if that was even possible.

It was the weekend before she finally called me back. "Hey, what's up?" Despite recent events, she sounded almost cheerful.

"Why have you been ignoring me?" Deep down, a small part of me was glad she had, since I was now afraid of her. The phone went silent and I thought she'd hung up on me. "Hello?"

"I've not been ignoring you. I've just been busy."

I knew she was lying, but didn't argue. "Umm... Brad and I want to come over. Are you gonna be home tomorrow afternoon?"

"Why do you two want to come over?" she asked suspiciously.

I didn't want to tell her, so I kept it vague. "Just to hang out. I mean... I'm worried about you."

She laughed. "You should be." Before I could say anything, she said, "I'm not gonna be home tomorrow. Dad's picking me up in the morning. But you can come over this evening. Mom's going out, so we can watch a movie or something."

The thought of Brad and I being at her house alone with her—or Steven—didn't sit well with me. But to be honest, going to her house and doing this at all didn't sit well with me. However, we didn't really have any other choice. This was the only thing we knew to do and I just hope it worked.

"Okay. We'll be over around six," I told her with apprehension.

"I'll be ready."

I hated the fact that I didn't really know who I was talking to—Prestley or Steven. Even though it sounded like her voice, it seemed laced with something more sinister at times. I knew I'd have to be on guard tonight. At least Brad would be with me so I wouldn't have to face her—them—alone.

The day seemed to fly by, and before I knew it, Brad was picking me up. I made sure to tell my mom that we'd be at Prestley's house, just in case something went wrong. At least this time she'd know where to find me if I didn't come home.

"This is crazy," I told Brad as I got into his car.

"What's crazy about going to your best friend's house to try to close some other-worldly door she opened that will hopefully rid her of whatever demon is taking over her body?" He looked over and smiled at me, making the butterflies that were usually hibernating in my stomach come to life. "That's not crazy at all, babe."

"I'm sorry I've dragged you into this mess." I stared out my window, thinking back to the day that started it all. "When she brought the board in, I had a bad feeling about it, but never thought it would lead to this." I took a deep breath, trying to calm my nerves that seemed more on edge the closer we got to her house. "When she started talking to him without the board, I knew it was bad." I looked back at Brad, but he kept his eyes on the road. "If she touches me at any time while we're there, it's not her. Pres never touched me before, but now she can't see to keep her hands off of me."

He chuckled. "Sounds like it might not be a bad night after all." I smacked him, which caused him to laugh even harder. "I'm just kidding." He reached over and put his hand on my leg, squeezing it slightly. "I'm just trying to ease your anxiousness."

"How do you know I'm anxious?" He gave me a sideways glance and smirked. "You're right... I'm anxious. You just haven't seen what I've seen. You haven't seen him."

"Well, I've never hit a girl before, but if I need to, I'll take her out. You just give me the signal." I knew he was trying to make light of the situation, but it wasn't helping.