Chapter 4: More Than Waterfalls

Once we hiked up to the waterfall, we decided to sit down and chill for a while, soaking up the fresh mountain air. Prestley, being the restless one, thought her and Will should go for a walk to the top, which wasn't far, so once they took off, Brad and I moved our blanket to the edge of the falls.

"Yeah, this is better," Brad said as he spread out the blanket for us. "Nice and secluded."

I laughed. "It's not secluded," I pointed out as I fanned my hands around to the other people around us that were out enjoying the day, not wanting him to get any ideas.

"Well, secluded enough." He motioned for me to sit down, and when I did, he nestled in beside me, pulling me onto his lap. "I like you, Jailyn."

"I should hope so," I chided. We'd made out a few times—kissing, pressing together of bodies, roaming hands—so this admission was a bit superfluous.

"No, I mean I really like you."

"Well, I really like you, too."

"Like me enough to not want to see anyone else? Just me?"

I looked up at him. "I've not been seeing anyone else. Have you?"

"No." His face turned serious. "And I'd like to keep it that way. Just you and me."

He leaned down to kiss me, as if it would solidify his words. Maybe that's what they mean when they say sealed with a kiss. If this kiss had anything to do with it, he was definitely sealing the deal for me.

He leaned back slightly to look at me, gauging my response. "Just you and me has a nice ring to it," I admitted, feeling my face get warm.

"Good."

He reached down and caressed my face, rubbing his thumb back and forth across my cheek. Having him stare at me as intensely as he was made me feel uncomfortable; like I was standing in front of an expectant crowd and hadn't prepared a speech.

I smiled and turned my head toward the waterfall, escaping his gaze. "Have you seen them yet?"

"No, but I've not been looking for them. I'm sure they took a detour on the way up, knowing them."

Prestley and Will didn't hide the fact that they'd done more than just make out, which always made me feel uncomfortable. I knew Brad wanted to do more than just make out, too, and it made me wonder if he ever thought he'd picked the wrong friend. He'd never hinted to it, but it was always in the back of my mind, teasing me like I sometimes felt I did Brad. He never complained when I cut him off instead of getting him off, but I know how guys are. I know how I am, for that matter. If I wasn't so scared of getting pregnant—having a faulty condom, which would be my luck—I'd have done him a long time ago.

"Surely they wouldn't do it in the woods, where anybody could walk up on them. That's just..." I started to say crazy, until I imagined Brad pinning me up against a tree, risking getting caught by straggly hikers. Maybe it wasn't so crazy after all. "...risky."

"They don't care."

"Would you ever do that?"

"Is that an invitation or a hypothetical question?" Even though he was smiling, I knew he was partly serious.

"Hypothetical question. Strictly hypothetical."

He looked toward the waterfall as if he was imagining it like I had. "I don't know. I doubt it... unless it was at night—" he looked back down at me and traced his finger across my lips "—and the moon was out."

Maybe two condoms would be okay. "Oh," was all I managed to muster.

We continued to enjoy the serenity of the mountains, listening to the roar of the waterfall, as we waited for Pres and Will to come back, keeping our kissing to a minimum, since there were families here. However, I knew the ride back home, in the dark backseat of Will's car, would be a ride to remember.