Chapter 3: Accidents Happen

We found their aunt's house without any trouble, but as I pulled up in her driveway, I suddenly felt nervous. "It doesn't look like their aunt's even here."

"Good," Prestley replied.

"No, it's not. I like the comfort of a little parental supervision."

She ignored me as headed to the gate, where Brad was waiting on us. "Took you two long enough." He smiled, making my already nervous stomach break into some kind of primitive dance. I hadn't seen him without his shirt on before, but was so glad I was getting to experience it now.

"Yeah, she drives like a grandma," Pres chided.

"Yeah, and Pres thought we were coming to a fashion show instead of swimming and had to do her hair," I added back.

Will made an evil cat sound as he scooped Pres up into a bear hug, leaving Brad and me standing awkwardly by the pool. "So, you ready to get wet?" he asked with a smirk.

"Um... huh?"

"It feels nice. The pool," he added, since I was just staring at him like an idiot.

"Oh, you meant—" I cut my words off before they embarrassed me any further. "Sure, I've wanted to go swimming for a while, but hate public pools." I sat my bag down and took off my cover-up.

"Why? You ain't got anything to be ashamed about." He took my cover-up out of my hand and draped it across the lounge chair as he wrapped his arms around me.

Feeling his hot skin press up against me reminded me of why I needed parental supervision. "It's not that I'm ashamed; it's the germs. Public pools are cesspools of bacteria, just waiting to find some open wound or inner ear to infect."

"Oh, yeah, I forgot. You're one of those girls. I'm surprised you even kiss me, since you're exposing yourself to my germs." He leaned down and brushed his lips across mine.

"Sometimes exposure is worth it." I pressed my lips to his, forgetting that I'd come to go swimming. Forget swimming... I was flying, high in the clouds where nothing else mattered, just his soft lips and hard body pressed up against me.

"Are y'all getting in or are you gonna stand there and make-out all day? Trish ain't gonna be home, so why don't you go see how springy her bed is," Will yelled from the pool.

At the mention of a springy bed, I pulled back. "Let's swim."

Unlike Brad, who jumped in without hesitation, I gradually lowered myself into the water. We played around and swam for a bit before Will came up with the bright idea that we should play chicken. I, of course, didn't want to play, but being the only one who didn't, I also didn't want to be a party pooper.

"Okay, I'm in," I finally said, giving in.

It started out innocently enough, with Pres and me wrestling back and forth, tugging on each other's arms. But at some point the game changed and Pres planted her foot hard into Brad's face. I wouldn't have thought much about it, since accidents happen, until I saw what appeared to be satisfaction on her face.

"Oh, I'm so sorry," she said with a smile as he fell backwards into the water, causing me to fall back.

When I turned around, the water had a new, red tinge to it. "What's wrong with you?"

She looked surprised. "Nothing, it was an accident."

When Brad resurfaced, his face was covered with blood. "Oh, my gosh." I grabbed his arms and pulled him toward the stairs. "Are you okay?"

When he uncovered his nose, it was already starting to swell. "That hurt."

His simpleness made me laugh. "Come on," I said as I helped him out of the pool. "Let's go doctor you up." I grabbed our towels, wrapped mine around me, and lead him into the house like it was my own. "I'm so sorry. I don't know what's gotten into her."