14. Snowflake

"I dare not flying. Three black harpies are hovering and roaming over the castle. I wouldn't stand a chance if they spotted me," indicated Snowflake to Gus through their unique ability to communicate with each other.

The hawk had been released and sent by the monk to inspect the surroundings, taking advantage of the fact that all the mountains around were covered with snow, making the white bird virtually invisible. The hawk flew with the speed that characterized its kind. It rested on a high bluff that allowed it to camouflage against the background of the mountains.

The small party had left the monastery of Kerst through the foothills of the West, usually traveling at night and hiding by day. During their journey, they saw some of those harpy eagles, high overhead scanning vigilant and threatening.

They witnessed harpies falling over unsuspected hawks, which did not have the opportunity to fly away.

"We cannot risk exposing Snowflake to such threat," had expressed Gus worried to Brannan when the young captain had decided to release the bird to see through the bird's eyes, what was happening around, given its connection with the monk.

"Don't be concerned," answered Brannan, issuing a breath of steam from his mouth. "You know more than anyone else, that the bird can look after itself better than we can do."

Brannan had begun to rely on the information the hawk transmitted when the circumstances allowed them to release the bird with some degree of security for the animal.

Gus was always reluctant to make use of Snowflake, even though it was his means to see the world.

"The old sage assured me the hawk is an exceptional kind of bird," Brannan reminded the monk, "and that it would be of great help to us. He said it would fly if it considered it should do it, didn't he?"

"What would happen if we couldn't fulfill the mission of carrying the hawk to Terrara?" asked Gertrudis, huddled under a thick layer of bearskin.

"For us to accomplish that, we need to know what's going on around" manifested Brannan.

The bird emitted a sort of whisper as if it were understanding and agreeing with what Brannan had said. It must have been so because the monk freed the hawk.

From its high vantage point, the bird could see with its sharp eyes around the inner courtyard of the castle and communicate to the monk whatever was happening.

The group had come close enough and perhaps a bit reckless to the Castle of Alasia, with the mission of try to figure out how to prevent the population of hawks from disappearing prey to the powerful claws of the harpy eagles.

"There's another little thing you could do to help Snowflake to prevent the extinction of its species," had commented in passing the old abbot before they left the abbey.

Brannan had suspected their journey northward through the western mountains range to the Duchy of Alasia had no sense, unless the old monk had a powerful motive to try such a risky endeavor. Indeed, before the party left the abbey, the abbot had finally explained the reason for such a hazardous trip.

"The twin witches are rearing a large brood of harpy eagles at the Castle of Alasia," mentioned the old man with concern. "Unless you obliterate that threat, the skies over Terrara will soon be overtaken by those nasty eagles. I wouldn't want you to think I have manipulated you to undertake such peril, but unfortunately, you're the only ones we count on at this moment, to try to destroy those nests."

"Then, I guess we have no choice," had responded Brannan. "I suppose it is no longer a matter of the struggle between Kerst against the Triad but also about our survival."