Pt. 7: Old Friend

After the first cup was gone, Jade felt a bit more relaxed in the unfamiliar setting. The small party was in full swing. There was good music playing, people were laughing and conversing with each other and she wasn't at all, uncomfortable. Alex introduced her to a few of his friends earlier in the evening and they were just as nice, and kind hearted as he was. She'd learned that David who was also dating Rebecca, was an artist. When he introduced David, he referred to him as the brother he never had. He'd noticed her right away as the "Lady who wanted Alex to move the couch" Rebecca was also excited to learn that Jade would be attending the showcase of his art the following day.

She also met Nick, Thomas, Hayden and Charlie. Nick and Thomas were fellow roommates of David and Alex during their college days, and he'd met Hayden and Charlie throughout his time in Chicago. She'd made it to the point where she had no problem conversing and laughing with everyone.

Jade felt a small tug on her sweater sleeve and turned around to a hazy eyed, Alex.

"Hey, wanna go grab another drink with me?" Jade wasn't totally out of her head and the bottle of water she'd grabbed after the first drink was enough to help her sober up a little.

"Sure, lead the way"

As they made it into the kitchen, Alex turned and leaned backwards on the counter. The counter met the small of his back due to his tall frame. He decided to lay one hand on the counter to steady himself as he swayed a bit.

"I think you're just about done there Alex"

"They say, don't get high on your own supply" he chuckled, but soon realized he was the only one laughing when he looked up to see Jade with a slightly shocked look on her face.

"No no no, I'm sorry. It was a joke. I made the drinks, so I said my own supply. Get it, like I was drinking the drink I made, myself- "

"Oh. Okay now I get it. You had me scared there for a minute." She laughed.

"Sorry again. Now we see why I'm a writer instead of a comedian" he shook his head at his embarrassing joke.

"It's okay. I mean, I don't judge, but I just don't like to be associated with that type of fun you know?"

"Yeah. I totally get that. It's the same here. I know a couple of people who do it, but I couldn't be around that either." Jade was relieved. Thank God he could have a good time without having a "good time".

"So, what was your childhood like?"

"Well, lived in England 'til I was about six. I don't really remember much about being there. We left and moved to New Hampshire. It was quite a boring place to live for me, so I decided to Jet when it came time for college, so I moved to Miami and attended The University of Miami. It was hard for my mom and all, trying to make a living and support me as well that's when I decided to get a job at the bar. Started off as a dishwasher and worked my way up to a bartender. I then landed a small internship at the publishing company I'm currently at. They told me they were moving a couple of years later, to Chicago and let me know there was an editor's position with my name on it. So, I made my way over here. That's about it."

"Well, Thanks for the extended pitch." She laughed. She'd asked and he told.

As they shared college stories and laughed the rest of the group joined in complaining about how long it took to fix a drink. Jade thought about how fun it was to listen and chime in with this new crowd and was happy they were so accepting towards her. Thomas was currently trying to do a hand stand with his beer bottle in his mouth when everyone turned to a shrieking voice behind them.