"I'll give you time to prepare, but might you at least invite me inside?" he responded, careful not to raise his voice too much.

She opened the door and told him, "You were already invited in."

"That does not mean I won't ask to come inside, Natalia. I am not without manners."

"Do as you please and allow me to change," she responded, moving to the bathroom with some socially acceptable clothes bundled up in her arms. 

She brushed her hair, brushed her teeth, put on deodorant, then dressed in her clothes, not bothering to wear makeup. She felt the chilly air from the bathroom, so she grabbed a sweater and through it on before returning to Elijah.

"Okay, I'm done," she murmured, wrapping her arms around herself. As the days went on, her apartment just seemed to get colder. Maybe she should've checked with the people in town how good the heating system is in the complex.

"Wonderful," Elijah responded, standing up and speeding to the door, opening it up politely. "After you."

"Okay," she mumbled, exiting her apartment and then waiting for Elijah to escort her to his car, assuming that's how he got there. 

He then opened the door to his fancy, expensive sports car and opened the passenger's door for the Empath, speeding over to his side. He hopped in and started the car with a small grin.

"What are you smiling about?" she wondered grumpily. She was tired and bitter about it.

"It's a surprise, Natalia."

"You're not gonna kill me, are you?"

"No."

"Thanks." She cracked a smile. "So, where are you taking me?"

"Be patient. It's not too far."

She tried her best to ease her confusion but instead only ended up worsening it. She nearly made a meal out of her bottom lip when they strayed farther and farther from Mystic Falls, glancing over at her driver every now and then to maybe get a hint of where they were going. After a long car ride, he parked the car on a dirt path road and hopped out.

"We're here," he informed, speeding around the car to open Talia's door. "Follow me."

"That's what I've been doing," she responded, raising an eyebrow as she followed him deeper in the woods. "You're so gonna murder me, aren't you?"

"Your optimism is refreshing," he responded sardonically. "You might be surprised that I am going to do the exact opposite."

"And that is..."

"Help you." He brought her a little deeper in the woods before stopping and then turning to look her in the eyes. "There are a great many things you don't know, Natalia, and a great many threats that are sure to come your way. I want you to survive these."

"How come? I know innocent lives and stuff, but why drag me in the middle of the woods to help me?"

"If you please, you could tell your friends to stop trying to break their word. I am a man of my word and find it utterly disheartening to see that others will not even comply with the smallest promise anymore."

"I agree, pal." 

He held her shoulders and looked her in the eyes, telling her, "You are stronger than you think. I want to help train you."

"That sounds fun, I guess." A smile tugged at her lips as she knew he wasn't going to betray her. "How?"

"You already have unlocked the power to feel and manipulate emotions, have you not?"