Chapter 39 ~ Dream

Start from the beginning

I managed to almost fall asleep before there was a knock on the door and Ethan untangled himself so he could go and open it for Justin. I didn't bother to move too much I just rolled over on my back and watched with a sigh as the pack doctor made his way into the room with a bag in his hand. He smiled when he spotted me but frowned a bit when I sent him a half-hearted smile back.

"You don't look too good Luna." He stated, stepping up to the bed as he reached out a hand and put his wrist against my forehead. Probably checking for a fever.

"I don't feel too good either." I answered, sending Ethan a thankful glance when he helped me into a sitting position, pushing a few pillows behind my back to make me more comfortable.

"Hm... tell me what's bothering you?" Justin inquired, staring at his wristwatch as he checked my pulse by pressing two fingers against my wrist.

"I feel... tired... and I've been throwing up. I feel nauseous when I eat and just the smell of the cake made me sick earlier today. I just don't know... I thought it was something I had eaten but it's been like this since yesterday and Ethan and I have been eating the same food all week." I said, frowning when Justin glanced at Ethan and then finally looked at me.

"Well... if it was food-poisoning it could affect you and not Ethan since he can withstand a bit more seeing he is a werewolf. Then again if it was something you ate it should have been getting better after you threw up the first time... or at least you would start feeling better by now. It can be a bug I guess but you don't seem to have a fever and your heart rate is also normal. I can't really say you seem sick apart from the nausea you speak about." He stated, brushing a hand along his chin while he thought it over.

"Is there anything you can do?" Ethan asked, staring Justin down as if he thought the doctor would jump me any second now. Justin smiled innocently but shook his head a bit.

"I think it's best to wait and see where this is going first. Maybe drink a bit more water than usual to make up for the loss if you throw up again but otherwise make sure to rest and take it easy for a few days. If it gets any worse call on me again and I'll come back to take another look, okay?"

I nodded in understanding and saw Ethan doing the same out of the corner of my eye. I was a bit disappointed that there didn't seem to be a magical way to fix this sickness but then again... I was happy I didn't have to take any pills or anything like that again. Last time was bad enough.

Before Justin left us on our own, he made sure I got a glass of water to put on the nightstand beside the bed. He stayed long enough to see me take a few gulps of water and then he repeated his advice concerning rest and taking it easy before he disappeared out the door. Doctors reminded me of nagging mothers sometimes but I guess that was a part of their job... to make sure the patient followed the doctors orders.

With Justin gone, Ethan relaxed again and went back to lying beside me on the bed for awhile. He promised me he'd tell Ash sorry from me for having to ditch his party before he went back to make sure the guests was having a good time. He left me in bed so I could rest and it wasn't long before I drifted off to sleep buried under a ton of covers and blankets. I guess I must have been really tired with how fast I fell asleep but even so it wasn't a dreamless rest at all.

* * *

I dreamt that Ethan's wolf was running through the woods with me on his back. He seemed to know where he was going and when he slowed down and came to a stop I realized that we were standing at the edge of a clearing.

I slid down Zylas back and he went to press into me as he nuzzled his nose against my hand. I was laughing and pushing at his big furry head before I turned to run across the clearing. Zylas let out a soft growl behind me but followed me through the flower-filled grass.

I felt really happy but all of a sudden the dream shifted and I couldn't run as fast as I had just seconds ago. I felt heavy and clumsy and I stumbled over air and fell to the ground with a shocked yelp.

After a few seconds a hand suddenly landed on my arm and when I turned my head Ethan was standing beside me looking really concerned as he helped me up.

"You have to be careful, love." Dream-Ethan said, wrapping his arms around my waist very gently and peering down at me. I felt like crying all of a sudden and without a word dream-Ethan fell down on his knees before me and leaned in to nuzzle my stomach. I stared down at him through tear-stained eyes and suddenly he mumbled under his breath:

"I don't know what I'd do if anything happened to you two..."

* * *

I woke with a gasp, momentarily dazed and confused about where I was as I untangled my arms from the many blankets around me. I was sweating like I'd just run a marathon and for some reason my heart was pounding in my chest.

What. The. Hell. Was. That.

Why was I dreaming about something so weird? I must have let all this werewolf business get to my head!

Shit, it felt so damn real.

I suddenly realized that I had my arms wrapped around my stomach and I immediately ripped them away with wide eyes staring around the room as if someone was there to see me behave so crazy.

God I was loosing it wasn't I?

Even though I knew it was crazy I couldn't help but swallow and crawl to the side of the bed. I slipped out from under the covers and hurried across the room to the bathroom. I stepped inside and locked the door securely behind me. I paused with my hand on the door handle for a second, questioning if I was really doing this before I took a calming breath and slowly stepped up to the whole-figure mirror placed on the wall. I counted to two, because three seemed so cliché, and then I let my eyes travel down my whole body in the mirror.

I looked normal.

I felt the urge to laugh at myself crazily for even thinking that I would somehow see something strange in the mirror.

Of course I looked normal I mean I was a god damn dude. Just because I had gotten myself a boyfriend that could turn into a wolf that didn't mean I had somehow started transforming into a female. Hahaha I was so stupid. It had just been a dream and I was freaking out for nothing! Even if it felt real there was no way it was true. I turned sideways and stared at my flat stomach and let out a chuckle that almost sounded insane to my own ears.

God Matt you're seriously loosing it... how could you think it was real?

I rolled my eyes and pulled a hand through my sweaty hair.

"Just take a shower you crazy person..." I thought to myself, smiling and shaking my head at my own reflection.

A shower would do me good so with one last look at myself in the mirror I turned towards the shower.

At least a shower might wake me up from the insane idea that I was suddenly carrying something inside me that I most definitely was not.