Chapter 11 ~ Out of the frying-pan and into the fire

Picture: Ethan's wolf

______________________________________

It took us an hour to get ready but when we had finally packed some food and swimming garments we headed out to the cars and divided us into two of them. I had wanted to ride with Amber, Vincent, Kevin, Alex and Anton but Ethan had just growled at that and thrown me inside the car he was going to drive. Now I was squashed in between Ash and Regina in the backseat and I cursed as the car swirled and I got Kate's hair in my face. She was sitting in Regina's lap so the seats would suffice.

"Are we there yet?" I asked for what must have been the hundredth time since we left the house an hour ago. Ash tensed beside me and I knew that I was seriously grating on his nerves with my obvious lack of patience. Well he shouldn't blame me, I had always been bad at being patient.

"If you don't shut your bloody mouth soon I will make sure to drown you when we get there..." Regina muttered from beside me and I rolled my eyes at her irritation. She was such a serious person sometimes.

Before I had time to answer her Ethan's calm voice vibrated through the air.

"It will probably take another ten minutes or so." He said, not even a hint of irritation in his voice as he sent us all a quick look through the rear-view mirror. I was a bit surprised at his capacity to handle my annoying side but then again I guess he could just be pretending while boiling inside with held back anger. Wouldn't surprise me really...

"I'm so bored!" I whined and everyone except Ethan sighed in frustration.

"We've noticed..." Adam said from the front seat and I could see Ash try to contain the grin spreading across his face. How mean...

Before I had time to say anything about it the road suddenly widened and a huge lake came into view. When Ethan had pulled up and shut the engine off I wasted no time as I unbuckled my seat belt and threw myself out of the car. Kate had done the same and we could barely contain our excitement as we took of running towards the lake without waiting for the others to catch up to us.

When we got closer to the water I squealed in happiness and quickly disposed of my shirt and pants as I ran. I flung them to the side together with my shoes and socks and then I was suddenly approaching the waterside. I had been planning on simply running straight into the water but when I reached the small waves splashing against the beach I made a abrupt stop. I could feel Kate crash into me from behind and I let out a small yell as my foot connected with the cold water.

"Holy hell it's soooo cold!!" I screamed, backing up a few steps so the waves wouldn't reach me again. Talk about anti-climax...

Kate shot me a sideways glare and then she simply huffed and pulled on a pair of swimming-puffs. I watched as she put them on and then immediately stalked out into the water with an excited, yet determined, gleam in her eyes.

"Damn girl, you're insane! Oh, fuck... wait for me you can't swim alone." I said, biting my tongue and taking a few steps out in the water.

As much as I wanted to I couldn't leave her in the water by herself. I took a deep breath and then I followed Kate out to the slightly deeper part of the lake. I could see when her small feet left the sand bottom and she proceeded to simply float on her air-filled arm-puffs.

Aww how cuuute!

"Good God this is freezing cold! Why the hell did we even come here?" I whined as I looked out over the lake and spotted some birds on the other side. They seemed to enjoy the temperature and I frowned as one of them dived into the water and disappeared. I guess their bodies were built to take this fucking cold and I wished I'd been the same. At least then I wouldn't have to freeze this much. Then again I would probably end up being shot by a hunter instead... okay... I didn't wish to be a bird any longer...