Chapter 32 ~ A much needed phone-call

"What do you mean 'my friend is not as nice as I think'? Are you talking about Ash?" I said, my voice laced with disbelief as I stared at Lazarus wounds. He couldn't seriously mean that Ash had anything to do with that, could he?

"I meant exactly what I just said. Humans are all liars and they don't care about people like me, people who don't 'belong'. Your friend was no different when it really boiled down to it... I trusted him and look where that got me. As soon as I let him go his mates ordered me dead. I was lucky to get out of there with just these wounds." Lazarus answered, his voice low but dangerous as he spat out the harsh words. I blinked at him for a second and then the words just poured out before I could stop myself.

"You're human too." I said and I knew I didn't imagine the way Lazarus eyes narrowed on my face.

"I'm nothing like you." He hissed at me, his cold gaze burning a whole right through me.

"If that's what you think about humans then why are you here? If humans hold no interest to you then leave my brother out of this." I finally said, my voice firm as I met and held the man's strong gaze.

I could see Lazarus flinch slightly at the mention of my brother but otherwise he kept his angry expression in place. He couldn't fool me though. I knew love when I saw it and even though I don't believe in love at first sight and all that shit... I knew it was something very real for werewolves like him.

Ethan had recognized me as his mate the first time he laid eyes on me and he's told me he's loved me ever since. Lazarus wasn't an exception. My stupid airhead of a brother was his mate and I knew that the wounded wolf knew that better than anyone. Question was... what was he going to do about it...?

"Matt, seriously, what are you doing in here? You can't expect me to wait any longer. I need to change his bandages." Lionel's voice suddenly said, startling me enough to wake me up from my line of thought. My first reaction was to stare at the spot where Lazarus had stood only seconds before but instead of a man the white wolf was back and I cursed him mentally for knowing my brother was coming without warning me about it. He nearly gave me a heart attack.

I shifted my gaze over to the door where my brother stood and then I smiled at him while waving my hand through the air.

"Sorry I just thought he looked cute and got caught up petting him." I lied, immediately receiving a low growl from the big wolf. My brother looked at me with doubt written all over his face and I guess the lie wasn't as believable as I thought. Then again... he didn't bother to call me out for it so I guess it's fine.

I watched as Lionel moved over to the big animal and when Lazarus growled at him, baring his teeth I was surprised to hear my brother laughing.

"Hush you! Don't be a grumpy-face... the evil veterinarian is just here to change those soaked bandages." He said, rolling his eyes as the wolf snapped after his fingers. I could clearly tell that my brother wasn't scared of Lazarus wolf in the least and I smirked at the frustrated look on the animal's face. I bet there had never been anyone that didn't take his growling seriously so this might be a new experience for him. I suddenly felt an overwhelming urge to tease him for it and before I knew it I had opened my mouth.

"Aw is poor Lazarus not getting the reaction he wants?" I teased, laughing as the animal glared over at me.

"Lazarus...?" Lionel said in a surprised voice and it suddenly hit me that I had just called the werewolf by his human name... a name my brother had never heard. Uuuupss...

"Eh... I... named him that... yeah that's right I named him Lazarus! Nice huh hahaha...!" I rambled, trying to cover for my careless mistake. My brother stared at me for a second and then he frowned.