.chapter • The Duchess;

When the weather was good, Charles, with a sad smile, said his farewell to Kitty. He dismissed himself from the room to see after the horses, leaving mother and daughter alone.

She could not recall a time before traveling across to the continent, when she and her mother had embraced in such a loving way. Kitty was never fond of her mother as she was of her father, and her mother never truly showed much affection either. How time had changed it all.

Tears welled in the honey colored eyes of her mother. Kitty forced a smile, doing her best to remain strong for the sake of them both. She had wanted to go with. She had longed to return to her home, surrounded by both her parents and their dear friend Charles if he was permitted to stay.

"I wish I was going with you," Kitty admitted weakly. "I don't know how I will get on without you here."

Her mother's lips curved, radiating warmth and love, "When you are well, you shall return to us." Was what she said. She placed her palm against Kitty's cheek. The gesture warmed Kitty's heart and broke the dam that had been holding back her tears. Like a child would, she threw her arms around her mother and wept uncontrollably.

Charles came back to inform her mother of their departure, but stopped himself at the sight of Kitty. She had pulled herself from her mother and now turned to him. No words needed to be exchanged, he knew already.

His arms wrapped tightly around her, careful not to break, but afraid if he didn't hold her firmly enough, she may just melt away. She hadn't bothered with a hood today, nor pulling her hair back from her face. Charles buried his face in it, inhaling the scent of oils and perfume. She wept into his chest, clinging to him much like she had did all throughout her childhood.  When he lifted his head, his own face had been red and wet from tears. He placed a firm kiss to the top of Kitty's head and whispered into her ear before pulling away and turning to leave.

She fell back into her mother's arms where their embrace lasted only a moment before both mother and daughter had to gain control of their emotions.

Kitty wasn't allowed outside just yet, her physician feared what the warm weather may do. So she watched from her window as her mother and the Duke of Suffolk disappeared from view.

• K •

Kitty was soon well enough to venture outside. Each day she would extend her walks a little longer, rebuilding herself so that she could someday return home. It was already decided she would leave her sweet employer's service and enter into another's much closer to home. That was, until news finally reached her of the passing of her father.

Was it not for her greatest desire to return home, Kitty felt her health would weaken at the news and she'd never leave. In fact, she began to fear it. Her fear grew by the day as her health began to deteriorate again. This time, however, she did not stay.

Instead, Kitty did something she knew all would strongly disapprove of if they knew. She gathered what things she could, and by the cloak of night, she set off for the port. There had to be at least one ship with a destination being England or remotely close.

And as if God was smiling down upon her, she found one. The sum she paid was fair, she thought. And nothing more was asked. The captain welcomed her on board and even forfeited his rooms for her. She took them and remained in them the entire voyage.

His ship, however, was not bond for England. The captain had met with her to discuss an arrangement that was to be made since he wasn't a particularly welcomed sight in England.

And so when the time came, she climbed into a tiny boat with one of the shipmates and he rowed her to land. And from there, Kitty began her journey home.

•a.n•

So, so, soooo very short. But guess what? There is more, much more, to come. I spent the entire day writing away and I made quite a heavy dent. I am beyond happy and I know in time you all will be too.

The end is nearing. I can't wait to finally reach it either. Not that I don't enjoy writing, it's just I want this book finished so I can start new ones. Have another Tudor story in mine once I figure out the plot.

Also, I apologize for all errors. I wrote on a phone, my screen is cracked to hell, and I just felt like writing regardless.

Enjoy.