.chapter • At Last ;

Kitty made her final voyage back to England. No word was sent, no one was told of their plans just yet. All that was said from the Emperor to his ambassador to pass along to the king, is that the intended bride of choice was to arrive within the fortnight of the letter. And further negotiations would arise from there if the king agreed.

So upon her arrival to Devonshire, her mother has been astonished, and rather disappointed.

"Katherine must be rolling in her grave!" Her mother spat.

"Or rejoicing, Mary was betrothed once before to him. And he wed another. Now I am only setting right what was wronged, as I was also intended to wed his Majesty, if you can recall."

Her mother sighed, "Very well. If the Emperor is a fool to toss you aside, may the king be wiser."

"Perhaps it was His will all along, mama. Who are we to say why things happen when we can not see all of what lays before us?"

"My child," her mother kissed her forehead, "just make your father proud is all I will ask."

"I do believe he would be quite proud, just as Katherine would be."

• k •

Kitty waited until the weather calmed just enough. For days it rained without stop, and now the sun had made it's grand appearance. She set off, accompanied by her household.

Not quite sure how it was she was going to persuade the King into giving up his daughter, Kitty consulted her mother. And the Duchess Dowager had only one simple word of advice: "Just say it."

"Simply say, "Your Majesty, the Emperor has offered up me to be your bride and I have persuaded him to wed the Lady Mary in my place instead, should you accept. What say You?"

As foolish as it had sounded in the carriage, Kitty now sat beside the king in his privy chamber. He sat back in his chair, cobalt blue gazed fixed on th dying embers in the hearth.

"He's jilted her once before, even after he promised to his beloved aunt." Came Henry's reply at last.

"But he has given me up, Harry! Come to reason. It was not easy to persuade him, I can assure. For days he said nothing until at last he agreed. He will marry the Lady Mary before we are to be wed to prove he means to keep his promise."

"What great lengths men will go to for you, Kat." He rubbed his jaw, sighed deeply and then dropped his arm. "Very well. I accept."

She did not breathe a sigh of relief. In fact, Kitty felt a pange in her heart upon his accepting. Had she truly thought the king would deny her? Was she really that foolish.

"So it is settle then?" She almost whispered, disbelief gripping her like an old friend unwilling to let go. "We are to be married and Mary is to wed... the Emperor."

Henry turned to look at her for the very first time since she entered the room, "As it should have been all along."

"As it should have been," she rose from her chair. "I shall inform Chapuys."

She turned to walk away, the page just on the other side opening the door.

"Kitty," she stopped and turned to find he had shifted from one side to the other. "For England's sake, smile."

Katherina turned around fully to face him. As she stooped into a curtsy, she forced a smile and said, "As you wish, your Majesty." And she turned to leave.

• k •

As agreed by both the Emperor and Katherina, Mary was to begin her voyage for Spain. After many tearful farewells, a lavish feast, and much of England coming to see her off, Mary's ship vanished from sight and the wait began.

It was not long after that word came, carrying with it news of Mary's awaited arrival and the wedding that was to take place. Henry's ambassadors wrote frequently, and Charles, who had been sent to accompany Mary, wrote for the empress to be.

"She's happy," said Henry upon his visit to Kitty. "You have done what none of my previous wives could have, Kitty. Take pleasure in at least this."

"I do," she replied, mulling over Charles' letter one last time. "It brings me comfort to see her wed at last. Now I have two other children I must tend to."

"Think of our own."

"If I can have them." She put the letter aside, looked up and then sighed. "Forgive me, I did not mean to be so cruel. I confess, I have not been my most happy self as of late."

Henry sat down, "I know why that is," he hunched forward, hands clasped and dangling between his knees. "Jane confided in me. I have made you most unhappy. But I will have you know, I played no part in this. The Emperor made this decision on his own."

Katherina rested her cheek against her fist, "But no man will have me as long as you so desire me." She said. "You did not have to ask, all men already know. I am bond to you and you to me. It is only right that if I am to take my place by any man, it shall be yours. Silly of me to have such dreams with the Emperor. I should have known better."

"You did not think Jane would be called from us so soon." Henry consoled.

"I did not think so, no." She sighed again. "For the sake of England. How is it I was not born for this country, yet it is I always coming to save it?"

Henry began laughing, "Perhaps you were destined to be her Queen, sweetheart."

"Fool," she muttered. "I am her Queen."

He turned, any eyebrow raised until he caught sight of her smile. "There," he said, "a real smile at last. Come sweetheart, your people need you."

"At last."

"Indeed." Henry stood up, his hand held out for her. She took it and rose up. "You will be a good queen."

"Will I?" She slipped her arm through his and allowed him to lead her from the room.

"I believe you have been thus far."

"Have I?"

Henry pressed his lip to her ear, "See for yourself."

A/N: The end to this story is very near. The last chapter does come across a little rushed to me. I may leave it as is or I may rewrite it. When we get there it will be determined. However, for now, just be warned, the ending is coming.