.chapter • Rumors;

"It's Your Grace now, isn't it?" She smiled softly, her arm linked through his.

Charles nodded his head swiftly, together they strolled through one of the many gardens that had been created within the palace grounds.

Katherina had come to court at last, now in service to her majesty the queen. It had been a struggle for Katherina, adjusting to court life. But with her father, Charles, and even a new friend, she was beginning to prosper.

"I am happy for you, Charles," she removed herself from his side and turned toward a budding flower. Katherina had found one thing she loved most about court, the extraordinary gardens.

"Thank you, my lady," he replied softly, a soft smile curving his lips.

She stood up straight and turned to him, "Perhaps now we can marry?" His smile faded, she knew it would. She knew even with a title Charles would never take her hand in marriage. "Not even my inheritance can persuade you, can it?" Of course not, she was a child still in his eyes.

Charles opened his mouth to respond, no doubt with something he deemed appropriate to respond with, but an announcement had silenced him. Katherina turned around just as the king strolled toward them.

"My lady," he kissed her hand and lifted her up.

"Your majesty," she offered her best smile, a smile that kept the King's eye for a moment longer. He smiled back.

"Are you well? Have you found court life at all to your liking?" She noticed the men that followed the king, her father included.

"I am, thank you for your concern, your majesty." She said. "It has been a change, yes, but I find court to be very exciting. I quite welcome the change."

He seemed pleased with her answer and it was then he turned from her to Charles. "I must beg pardon, my lady," began the King, "I hope you will find it in your heart to forgive me for stealing away our dear friend."

"There is no need," she smiled up at Charles, "I was just about to take my leave before your arrival."

The king bowed and Katherina sank into a curtsy. She rose swiftly, nodded her head to acknowledge her father and with that, she left.

• k •

"I have heard from a little bird that you have caught the eye of the king." Anne Boleyn kept her voice low in fear of being overheard, but their was no mistaking the smirk she wore.

"I dare hope not," Katherina whispered frantically, her dark eyes widening with fear. "I have no interest in the king, nor do I wish to become his mistress! I serve his wife, our queen!"

Anne surveyed the room, her eyes taking in every lady in service to her majesty the queen. She turned back to Katherina, placing a soft, small hand over her own.

"There are many others that will happily take your place, but if these rumors are true-"

"They shouldn't be! The king is a friend of my father's. Aside from being my king, that is all he is to me, my father's friend."

"All the more reason for these rumors to spread. He is close to the crown and one of the richest men in England. Many would love to see your family fall."

"But we have done nothing! Anne, there must be something we can do to quell these ridiculous rumors."

"I am certain there is something," she said at last, "You must trust me. Do you trust me?"

Katherina felt her brows furrowing, she had been astonished by Anne's question. How could Anne dare ask something of the sort?

"You're my only true friend at court," she replied, leaning forward, "of course I do."

• k •

"So you're to leave me?" Katherina found Charles again later the night, this time he had delivered the news to her.

She hadn't been aware as to why Charles Brandon went from a low rank to Duke of Suffolk, but now she knew. He was to escort the King's sister, Princess Margaret to her future. She would marry a king.

"I fear I am," he squeezed her arm gently, "I shall return."

"Oh, I do hope so."

They had met in her father's apartments where there would be no question of her maidenhood. Katherina was aware she could not act as she once did in the safety of Devonshire. She could not cling to Charles or curl up in his arms. Not while in public. It had to be behind doors, her father's doors.

She rested her head against his shoulder and sighed softly. She would miss him while he was away. He always brought a great deal of comfort after a long and dreary day at court. It was exhausting and only growing worse with this newfound rumor.

"Charles?"

"Hmm?" He tilted his head and peered down at her through tiny slits.

"You are close to the king, are you not?" She had removed her arm from his.

"I suppose I am," he replied, he sat forward with his elbows propped up on his knees. Charles rubbed at her tired eyes. "Why?"

"Have I... have I caught his eye?"

His head jerked upright, blue eyes wide, "Katherina, please tell me court has not changed you."

She pressed a hand to his arm, "No, it's just I've heard a rumor. I've caught the king's eye. I don't want to Charles. I've heard what happens to his mistresses, and the queen. Oh Charles, the queen is good to me! I could never do such a thing to her. If she hears these rumors? If anyone..."

He wrapped his arms around her, pulling her close to his chest and rubbing her back. "Hush now," he cooed, kissing the top of her head. "His majesty has said nothing of the sort to your father or I. And trust me," he placed a finger under her chin and tilted back her head, "If you had caught the eye of the king, you would know."

He smiled down at her. She felt her heart flutter at the sight. His smile filled her with a new sort of warmth. It left her body tingling in a way she'd never felt before. She had loved Charles, for as long as she could remember what it was like to love, she had loved him. And now, as she stared at the fullness of his lips, she wanted to kiss him.

•a.n•

I hope this is what you have all been waiting patiently for.
I can not express how badly I've been wanting to update this story for all of you wonderful readers. For awhile I would write but nothing I wrote seemed right.