.chapter • Mistress Howard ;

"I believe I have redeemed myself, Lord Hertford."

There was a sigh from beside her, "Indeed you have, most remarkably."

"Two boys, what ever am I to do with myself?" She smiled. "Who holds power now, I ask?"

Edward turned his head to look at her, "I shall remind you that Prince Edward is first in line."

Katherina laughed, "Hush Edward, this isn't a competition. The crowned prince is just as much my own as Harry and Charlie. I want them to grow together. To be forever close and not tainted by the greed of men. Such high hopes I have."

"Such high hopes, yet it will not come to be. Edward is the future king. Harry is Duke of Devon. Only in time will it be determined what comes to Charlie when he reaches the age."

"Your Majesty, my Lord Hertford."

Edward and Katherina turned to find themselves now accompanied by the Duke of Suffolk.

"Charles," she smiled, please to see his face. He had changed much in the two years. His eyes were tired and lined with age.

"I must offer my congratulations on Prince Charles. I hear he is progressing along quite well."

"Indeed," she smiled. "I swear he is beyond his year. Still only a babe, yet so bright and ever curious. A scholar he will be, says the king."

"No one can deny the happiness you have brought the king." Remarked Edward.

"For how long?" She asked in all seriousness. "Are two boys really sufficient enough? Already I see his eyes wander to mistress Howard. I do not posses what I once did."

"Your majesty, none of us do." Said Charles with a kind smile.

"She welcomes it," continued Kitty. I suppose it must feel nice to have the King's eye. I was her once too. As was Anne and Jane. I only wonder if some day she may succeed me."

"Never!"

"I do believe you are rather secure in your position," Charles observed. "Why must you fear that of a child?"

"I don't." Katherina turned to where her husband was strolling just along hedges. He looked to her, bowed his head, and then glanced around the garden until his eyes sought the one he truly came to see. "I fear no man, nor do I fear any woman. I have done what was required of me. England has it's heir," she nodded to Lord Hertford, "Devonshire has it's duke. And if something shall happen to either boys, there is another in case. Mary has produced a number of children of her own. Elizabeth grows by the day... I must find her a husband, however."

"I have already spoken to the king on that matter." Charles said. "If your next child is a girl, Elizabeth will find herself the next Duchess of Suffolk."

"How kind of you to aid me from afar, Charles. But what if my next is a boy?" She asked, her hand pressed to the swell that was her belly. "Then what?"

"Then we must broaden our search for a more suitable husband, shall we not?"

"Sweetheart," she had been heavily engrossed in their conversation that she had lost sight of the king approaching them. "My lords, Hertford and Suffolk."

"Majesty," all three said in unison.

"Should you not be inside, sweetheart?"

"Mm," Katherina came to his side and smiled, "I feel quite well, Harry. Do not worry."

Henry smiled softly at his queen. As she peered into those piercing blue eyes, that also belonged to her youngest, she felt warm and happy. Kitty mirrored his smile and stood on her toes to press a kiss to his whiskered cheek.

"I only ask that you take great care, my love. You have our child in your belly, remember that." His hand found her stomach.

"It is your child that should be mindful of their mother." She laughed. "Such power in so little of feet. Can you feel it?"

Henry knelt to his knees before her and all to see. He placed both hands on her pregnant belly and then said, "Be gentle, my child. Your mother is strong, but she declares you are stronger." And he pressed his lips to her belly.

Katherina smiled down at her husband. And still she smiled when she looked up to spy Mistress Howard glowering by the shade. Her pretty little blonde curls fluttering in the breeze. Yet somehow, while in that moment of bliss, the very image of Anne arose.