✔Chapter Thirty Six: Aftermath

Start from the beginning

And that invisible weight on his shoulders only seemed to deepen.

Sometimes, I would feel him slipping into my bed in the middle of the night. And he would do and say nothing, only sleep, exhaustion sinking heavily. And by the time I would wake up, he would rise before me, his side of the bed cold.

He sat on the edge of the bed, placing the tray on my lap. The warmth of it soaked through my legs. "Eat."

I knew there was no arguing with him, so I picked up the spoon and scooped a little bit. He looked to be satisfied, even with the small amount I practically shoved in my mouth. It's not that it was bad, but I couldn't really focus on the taste.

"How are you?" He brought a hand to brush away the hair from my face. And when I looked at it, I flinched.

Not because of the causal touch, but because of the terrible burn scars I had left.

With Lis' magic gone, everyone had to go for the palace's healers for whatever wounds and injuries they received in the attack. And due to the healers using traditional practices, only so much could be done.

"You ask me that every day," I told him, snatching my eyes away from his hands. "And every day, I have no answer for you."

"Then I'll keep asking until you do."

"How's Lis?" I asked, attempting to change the subject.

He sighed wearily, wiping his face and scratching at his growing beard. "Better than before. And she's eating well, thank gods. I left her with Ayana before I came here."

I swallowed the sweet oatmeal a bit too roughly, my throat dry and not used to this much. "Ayana?" That's surprising. I didn't know she was so close to the princess.

He nodded. "Yes. The girl requested to see Lis herself, something about comforting her."

I tried to piece the information together. Ayana apparently had a run-in with wizard hunters before, and since they stole the princess' magic, she might know someone with the same situation. That would make sense, at least.

"I also saw Lucius on my way here," he added. "He asked me where I was going, and when I told him I was to see you, he'd insisted on coming. I ordered him to stand back."

If my appetite was regaining a little, then that managed to sweep it off completely.

I set the spoon down, deciding my stomach couldn't handle much more. I never spoke to Lucius after his grand entrance in the attack, nor did I want to. He tried to talk with me, but the guards outside the room parried him out.

"You did the right thing," I said. "I don't even want to look at him."

"He's mourning too, you know," Gabriel spoke calmly as if he was careful I would get caught in flames again. "He loved Luxus as well, and I believe he wants nothing more than to grieve with you."

"Oh, so now he wants to be a part of my life?" I snapped, getting irritated. "What happened to his big speech about wanting to protect me? I call bullshit. He just wants to make himself feel better by making me forgive him."

"I don't think that's what he wants," he tried to persuade me, but that only agitated the sleeping fire within me. "I mean, Lucius lost so much in the last war. He had a family, and I don't think he wants to lose you too. Hasn't he ever told you-"

"No, he hasn't!" I contained my shout, contained the heat rippling in my body. "He didn't tell me anything! Didn't tell me anything of that supposed 'family' he lost and left me in the dark feeling like an idiot. So no, I don't care what he wants. He can go ahead and die again for all I care!"