✔Chapter Five: An Encounter In The Woods

The cold breeze of Imarnia's chilly night made the bright flames coming from my spread palms dance around, sending warmth to my face

I could feel their heat on my skin, yet my entire body felt like I was freezing -and it wasn't because of the chilly weather.

The moonlight above me made the shade of my flames look livelier, and it was a mixture of gold and the color of dawn. I have always loved seeing that color. It made me feel as if the flames had a magic of their own, and it always managed to make me smile at its beauty.

However, I was in no mood to even move my lips an inch.

It was already in the middle of the night, both Luxus and I weren't able to sleep at all, so I stepped outside into the balcony in my room where I could see the dark woods and the tall trees.

I could never be able to erase my thoughts of what happened today. Whenever I try not to think about it, it all comes back to me. I also haven't spoken to anyone -except Luxus- ever since I left the king's study room.

The flames in my hands were so faint that I could barely sense their magic force. I could see the emptiness through them, and that only intensified the shame I felt.

They would be utterly useless if a werewolf or another creature attacked me. I would be killed right here and there. My magic is not powerful enough for fighting or even defending.

I made the flames before me disappear, feeling the cold chill brush my hair and shoulders. I sighed, leaning my arms on the edge of the balcony as I lifted my head and stared at the bright, full moon.

A Slifer who couldn't even defeat a werewolf? For the gods' sake! I once read about a little girl who was able to defeat a small group of river elves without a drop of magic, and those things were nasty.

But, me, a Slifer, had shaken in fear in front of that giant furball. I couldn't even protect Luxus.

"Hey, Lux..." I spoke quietly, afraid that he would be asleep. But he was wide awake, clinging on one shoulder with his head near my ear. He cranked his neck up and hummed his reply. "Do you think that my decision was wrong?"

He knew that I was referring to my deal with the king. From the moment I exited his study, I wanted to go back and tell him that the deal was off, yet my legs wouldn't move.

I had remembered what he told me, that my powers won't increase if we didn't bond. He said it with such a straight face that he didn't seem to notice that he was asking me to become his mistress -or at least something like that.

"I understand why you agreed to it. Whether it was wrong or not, that's up to you. I have known you for years now, and I know what you dream of becoming. Just know that I'll be here no matter what."

Luxus's words made a weak smile appear on my face. I tilted my head to look at him and scratched his ears. He leaned into my hand and purred.

"Wise words."