✔Chapter Four: A Deal With The King.

Gabriel James Imarnia

"I cannot believe this, Gabriel! How could you do such a terrible thing?" Lis declared as she stormed behind me through the palace halls.

I silently cursed, my attempts of evading her thrown out of the window. The moment she caught the sight of me, her eyes turned into slits and her lips formed the thinnest line, as if she was preventing herself from screaming at me.

Her determined steps were still clear in my ears as I opened the door to my study room. I tried to quickly slam it behind me, but she already had her grip on the handle.

"I will not be ignored, brother." She walked into the room, her hard eyes fixed on me.

"I'm not ignoring you, Lis. I just have a lot on my mind right now."

I heard her huff in frustration, and I'm sure that she was chewing her lip, for this was a habit she always did whenever she was annoyed or upset.

I turned to face her, and she had her arms firmly crossed over her chest. "Are one of the things occupying your mind happens to be concern over the girl's well-being?"

It was my turn to huff. "She's not dead, is she?"

That earned me the infamous one-eyebrow raise, which I've believed to be a family trait. "Is that really what you think? That it's alright as long as she's not dead?"

I ran my hand through my hair, breathing in a very-needed breath. "What do you want from me, Lis?"

"Only for you to at least apologize to the girl."

My eyes grew wide, looking for a sign that indicated she was joking. But she was dead serious, and she looked at me as if she didn't like how I found her words absolutely ridiculous, "Are you mad!?"

She rolled her eyes. "Oh, please, Gabriel! This is the least you could do."

The least I could do!? I don't have to do anything! Does my sister not realize what she's asking me to do?

"You do know that she was the one who attacked me in the first place? She disrespected her king and showed no redeemable action."

"That is not an excuse, Gabriel!!"

This was the first time in years that my sister had raised her voice at me. Lis' eyes brimmed with distaste and a hint of unrecognition as if she didn't recognize the man before her.

I would be honest and say that it made my insides flinch, that my only sister was looking at me as if she was seeing a stranger. The look was soon gone from her eyes, and she released a breath as her expression softened.

She shook her head slowly, almost as if she was denying something in her mind. "How long will you let it take control of you, brother?" her hand reached up to touch my arm.