✔Chapter Eleven: The Unusual Stranger

"S
ee, I told you they're powerful now," I said to Luxus as I held my flaming hands into the air for him to gawk at. The flames that emerged from my fingertips were swirling my palms with rich, vivid colors similar to my hair, their flickering sound echoing through the silent woods.

Luxus's widened red-eyes gaped at the dancing sparks radiating, blinking at them several times. His expression made a proud smile creep up to my lips, but when I realized that there was nothing to be particularly proud of-since I wasn't the one to upgrade myself-the feeling quickly washed down.

I tried to look positively at this; the stronger I got, the closest I was in leaving this wretched place. Though, the king hasn't even looked at me since Grandpa's funeral, which was three days ago.

I had been mostly locking myself inside my room, anyway, with only Luxus and the servants who brought my meals as company.

Oftentimes, the princess would come to my room and have a little chat with me, and our conversations were mostly about my life before I came here and the things we shared in common-however few there were.

But a small part of me appreciated her effort to get to know me. And by the third day, I decided I had enough of lodging myself in the room, so I went out to the woods with Luxus where no one was around, and I could breathe much-needed fresh air.

Granted, the weather wasn't really appropriate for outdoor activity. It was in the middle of October, and the chillness was starting to emerge, as the once green leaves turned brown and all woodland creatures sought warmth. Even the servants had resigned into fulfilling their indoor duties.

Coldness never bothered me. In fact, I grew a bit hot under the thick red sweater I wore over black leggings, but I welcomed the cool breeze that swept over my face and tickled my exposed neck, gently swaying between the strands of my high ponytail.

On the other hand, Luxus had every fur in place sticking out, his tiny legs quivering every now and then, so I wrapped a black woolen scarf around his little body, and he clung to it so tightly to the point it looked like a second skin.

He edged closer to my burning fingers, clearly trying to drink in the warmth they offered. "Wow, you're right. They look somehow different," he jabbed his chin towards a nearby tree. "You think you can knock out that tree over there?"

I waved my hands, and the flames disappeared, shrugging a shoulder. "Hmm, I don't think so, not yet anyway. Besides, I don't know if these woods are charmed against fire."

Luxus rested on the grass, his paws folded over one another as his tail swayed behind him. I took my seat across from him, tucking my legs beneath me. I gazed at the grass, a thought nagging at the back of my mind while my hands toyed and ripped at the roots. Luxus seemed to notice my drifting state.

"Something on your mind?" he asked.

"Yeah," I exhaled, "I just can't help but wonder how am I going to train myself now?"

I haven't thought about it. I mean, I don't think just getting stronger would help.

Grandpa only taught me the basic things I needed to fight and defend, and they were primarily physical. The only things I knew how to do with my magic were fireballs, but I couldn't just keep making those for the rest of my life.

I needed to learn something new, but what? And how?

Luxus regarded me as if he had a thought stirring up in his mind, then he suggested, "Well, maybe you should ask Ayana to teach you. She's like you after all."

"She's a Water Slifer. I don't think she knows anything about Fire Magic. But," I scratched his chin, and he nuzzled closer to my palm. "I could ask her how she trains. She must know something."