✔Chapter Twenty Five: The Messenger of the Gods

"Oh my! What a wonderful surprise!" Aramis' eyes sparkled at the sight of us -well, mainly the king.

After spotting the trail of smoke, it wasn't hard to track down his house, though the trip here was filled with awkward silence and unfulfilled tension.

"Hi, Aramis. Mind if we stop by for a little bit?" I said, but those moss green eyes were focused on the tall man beside me.

"We apologize if this is a bad time for you," the king added, and Aramis shook his head violently as he bowed deeply.

"No, not at all, Your Majesty." He ushered for us to enter, stepping aside and opening the carved wooden door further. "To what do I owe this pleasant visit?"

I could tell he wasn't really addressing me, but rather the royal man who seemed to inspect the humble residence of our host. Aramis' house was warmer and stuffier than the last and only time I'd been in. It was surprisingly clean and organized as if nothing was moved an inch.

But that unpleasant smell of the pumpkin tea still lingered in the air, and it was evident due to the metal kettle brewing by the fireplace.

"His Majesty here wanted to ask you a few questions, and I wanted to inform you of something," I answered as I took a seat on the plush couch, the king trailing behind and sitting on the one beside me.

Aramis clapped his hands together, startling me for a second. "Well, don't spill anything until I've got tea all hot and ready. You're just in luck. Tonight is a special brew."

I bared my teeth in an attempt of a smile, already dreading whatever ingredient Aramis put in that tea. I better warn the king of how terrible the drink he was about to consume was.

I veered my attention at him and almost wanted to laugh at how big and uncomfortable he looked on that small couch. He took up all the space, and due to how lush the cushions were, he half sank into it.

I thought about it twice and decided that His Royal Highness doesn't need to be warned about the tea. It's the least he deserved after what he pulled in the forest earlier.

We sat in silence for a couple of moments, watching Aramis as he hummed cheerfully over the whistling kettle. And in every second that the tea grew stronger, the air seemed to suffocate us with the smell. But neither the king nor I made a comment about that.

At last, Aramis put on those oversized pink mittens and grabbed the handler to pour three cups of tea. "In this weather, there's nothing better than pumpkin tea. It could soothe your nerves and warm your body, and I even added a hint of honey and lavender this time."

He placed three glasses of water beside the cups and brought the tray to us. "But be careful, it's hot. Best to drink the water for now," he said, placing the beverages on the table before plopping himself on the large couch across the king and me.

His feet dangled as he gulped down his glass of water in one swing.

"Thank you for having us," the king thanked him, sipping on his own water.

I pursed my lips, not knowing what to do or say, so I just took mouthfuls of my cold glass of water. It seemed to be the only thing we did at this moment, sitting there quietly and sipping every minute and then.

That is until Aramis opened his mouth. "So, my mistress, did you accomplish what I told you to do?"

The liquid was halfway down my throat when I choked on it.

"What?" I coughed, my face and neck reddening.

The king cleared his throat way too many times to sound as natural. Both Aramis' bushy eyebrows rose at me. "You mean to tell me that so far nothing has happened?"