Day Four

"Hi, Jasper!" Yuri says as Jasper enters the room. "I've been waiting for you. Are you ready to continue reading? I brought my best tea today--"
"Monika!" Natsuki shouts. "I told you not to-- Ugh..." She looks around. "Is she really late again?"
Yuri sighs. "Inconsiderate as usual, Natsuki."
"Excuse me?"
"Must you always interrupt my conversations with your incessant yelling?"
"What are you talking about?!" Natsuki frowns. "You say that like I do it on a regular basis or something. I just wasn't paying attention, okay? I'm sorry. Seriously...What's gotten into you lately?"
"Me? N-Nothing..." Yuri stutters.
Natsuki gives her a hard stare.
"Is it really that bad...?"
"See, it is something." Natsuki says.
"I'll get over it! It's not even anything noteworthy..." She blushes. "I've just been feeling a little on edge lately. A-Anyway, we don't need to talk about it!"
"Well, I just felt like I needed to bring it up. It's not like I really care or anything..."

Monika runs through the doors. "Aw, man...I'm the last one here again!"
"Well, Jasper just walked in too." Natsuki says.
Yuri looks thoughtful. "Were you practicing piano again?"
"Yeah...Ahaha..."
"You must have a lot of determination." Yuri continues matter-of-factly. "Running this club, and still trying to make time for piano..."
"Well, maybe not determination...But I guess passion. It motivates me to work hard for the festival and..." She trails off. "Um..."
Natsuki tries to look frustrated, but the effect is a sad expression.
"Right...I-I forgot..." Monika stutters.
"Um...Natsuki..." I say. "I think it would be good to at least participate in the festival. I...I understand how you feel about not wanting this club to change...but that doesn't mean we shouldn't at least put an effort in. I'm personally looking forward to trying some of your famous cupcakes...I don't really think we'll get any new members anyway..." Especially if time resets again before it starts. "And if we all work together, we can't really go wrong. I'm sorry to stand against you like this..."
Natsuki maintains her sad face.
"...But it's more fun when you get involved, isn't it? Giving is better than receiving, and all that."
"Look..." Natsuki says finally. "I did some thinking about yesterday. I was a little more hostile than I meant to be...I guess I really felt threatened or something." She sighs. "But I know this is something we're doing together. Another member wouldn't hurt, as long as they're cool...And I guess another girl would be nice this time...But most importantly, I would hate to see the event suck just because I chose to back out!" She grins. "I'm a pro, you know! So I'm gonna help too, and we'll make sure it's done right."
"Fair play to you, Natsuki. How about that, Monika?" I say, and wait for Monika's reply. "...Monika?"
"Ah-- Yeah, that's wonderful!" Monika says. "It wouldn't be the same without you, Natsuki."

Monika turns to Jasper. "Anyway, Jasper...What do you want to do today? I was thinking we could--"
"We already have plans today." Yuri cuts her off.
"Ah...Is that so, Yuri?"
"That's correct. Jasper is already engaged in a novel that we're reading together. Aren't you glad I've already gotten him into literature, Monika?"
"I..." Monika laughs sheepishly. "I suppose...I was just-- Actually, it doesn't matter. It really doesn't. You guys can do whatever you want."
"Yes!" Yuri grins, then calms herself down. "Um...Thank you for understanding, Monika."

I pull Monika into a corner. "Eyaah--" she says. "Chieko...Is there an issue?"
"Well, kind of. You know. The festival?" I raise an eyebrow. "You really haven't got anything planned?"
"Well...Ahaha...I've kind of been caught up, you know...what with my piano and all..."
"You didn't think of anything."
"...Aha...ha..."
I half-roll my eyes. "Well, I'm glad to see you can keep up. Anyway, I was thinking, and I've got something planned. I think it would be best if we split into three groups...two groups of two and one of one. One group would be in charge of decorations and atmosphere...God knows we need a new one...I think Yuri should be in charge of that. Another would be in charge of food preparation...you know, snacks, stuff like that...Natsuki's playing field." Monika nods. "And the last one should be in charge of the information and advertising...you know, posters and pamphlets and stuff like that. I'm not sure whether to put me or you in charge of that...I think I might, unless you really want to..."
"I'll do the pamphlets." Monika says. "But I have a concern...Yuri's been spending a lot of time with Jasper...She's dragging him away whenever any of the rest of us try to interact with him...so I think he shouldn't be in Yuri's team. He needs to become acquainted with one of us...I could try and persuade him to leave Yuri alone occasionally."
"Well...how about we ask everyone about my plan before we lock it in? I don't know if Yuri will want to be on atmosphere, or if Natsuki wants to make cupcakes or anything..." I smile. "Maybe a little later. But right now, I'm going to try talk to Jasper. I've noticed Yuri's been a little possessive lately, too..."