Day One

I gasp. Like a seamless transition between simulation and reality in a movie, I am back on familiar ground. The school ahead, my house behind. I check the time on my phone – almost time for school to start. I start walking towards school, my mind ticking over everything that's happened.

"Hey, Chieko!"

And here I was thinking she didn't need me. I ignore her and walk just a little faster.

"Chio! Wait up, would you?" Monika shouts again.
I turn around and shout back: "What the hell do you want?"
She is frantically waving at me, as if nothing had ever happened between us. Fine, I'll give her one chance. One. But that's it. I slow down for her.

She stops a few feet in front of me and bends over, trying to catch her breath. "Just...hold up..."
"Why?" I ask, hoping that explains everything. Why would you hate me one day, and act like a friend the next?
"Why?" she parrots. "Because...we're friends...is why. Friends...wait for each other."
I groan internally, but I let it slide. "Also...I know you don't do netball any more, but you should seriously be able to run for maybe twenty seconds without getting tired."
"Yeah, yeah... Shut up. Not like you can do any better, Miss Chieko Yuuma, Smeller of Books."
Haven't you said that exact same thing before? As in, last week?
"What? Old books smell great. They have an aura."
Monika sighs. "I'll take your word for it."
You said that too...This is weird.

I pull my phone out to check the date. 23 September...That's strange. It was 23 September last week.
"How did you know I quit netball?" Monika asks. "I don't think I ever told you."
"Well, you did." I insist.
"N...o?"
"Did you hit your head or something? You seem to have forgotten everything that's happened in the last week. What's the date today?"
Monika puts a hand to her forehead. "Mm...I don't think so. And of course I remember last week. Yuri tried tying her hair up and Natsuki migrated another box set of manga into the cupboard. You spilled tea on your hand and got burnt. And...I think it's the 23rd today. Why?"
Huh...but that was the week before... "Never mind, I'm just going nuts." I say it like I'm joking, but there is an element of truth to it. I am literally going insane.
I lived an entire week which apparently didn't happen, starting with the arrival of Jasper and ending with Sayori...killing herself...
Wait...what if that was real? Maybe I've unwittingly time-traveled...but why? Am I meant to change something, or was it accidental? Am I meant to save Sayori, or change the whole Literature Club?
What did I do last week...?
"What was I meant to do for the Club again?" I ask.
Monika frowns. "Naughty girl, not remembering your homework. Aren't you meant to be co-President or something?"
Yep. You said that last time too. The question is: did I actually go back in time or do I just know Monika so well that I can delude her to perfection?
"Well, yeah, I guess." I reply.

Monika steps in front of me, turns around, and takes me by the shoulders. "What is up with you today? You're acting weird."
I avoid her gaze. "Nothing. I just...had a weird dream, that's all."
"Really." Her expression turns dead serious. "What kind of dream shakes the unshakeable Chio?"
"The kind of dream that throws one into an existential crisis." I shrug, which takes a considerable effort with the added weight of Monika's hands. "Whatever. Just forget about it."
She lets go of me. "Fine. I'll forget about it...on one condition."
"What?"
Monika smiles impishly. "You come with me to get coffee. You look like you need one."
I raise an eyebrow at her. "That's your condition?"
"Take it or leave it."
"Fine, I'll take it."
She grins. "Great! There's a new shop just a few minutes' walk from here, and their lattes are heavenly."

We change our route to the new shop.

I'd never heard of this new place until last week...If there are glass tables outside and the barista is wearing a yellow bandana, and there's nobody there...then I time-travelled.
"See, there is one here." Monika says.
I look at the shop, which is exactly how it was before. Glass tables and nobody outside!...I guess glass tables are pretty common, but nobody outside in this glorious weather?
"We caught the gap." I say, surprised – not at the lack of people, but at whatever the hell is going on!