TWELVE

"Callie," I feel a nudge in my shoulder, the motion of my back hitting the mattress jolting me from sleep

"Callie," I feel a nudge in my shoulder, the motion of my back hitting the mattress jolting me from sleep. Squinting my eyes the sun blocks out the figures face. "It's almost two p.m."

My brain takes a minute to register the voice and surroundings as I gingerly look around. Dark blue walls frame the room filled with a queen sized bed, a desk, wardrobe and built in bookcase all bearing shades of black or white. This isn't my room.

"Where am I?"

My throat burns from dryness and I wet my lips, slowly sitting up with the headache throbbing in sync with my heartbeat. I hold up my arm to block the sunlight and see the figure move over to the floor length window, pulling the curtains shut.

The room is plunged into darkness and the intensity fades away slightly. Light from the top and bottom provide enough illumination to cast the room in a dull colour. Especially now since I recognize who's extending a water bottle from me.

"My place," Sam answers and I slowly take the water bottle, instantly feeling my skin prick with awareness. "You were too drunk to go home and we couldn't find Summer anywhere."

I take a sip of the ice cold water and feel relief from my burning throat. "We?"

"Nina and I found you in the bathtub, almost falling asleep. You don't remember?"

"I drank a lot more than I intended and . . . I didn't do anything did I?" I ask quietly, aware of Sam's completely stiff body and facial expression. "What did I do?"

"Now isn't the best time to get in to it so you should just keep drinking water-"

"Sam, what did I do?" I ask, feeling alarmed that I may have done something reckless.

His eyes fall onto my hand which I glance down at, thankfully it isn't damaged like I feared. But then I realize he's looking at the glow stick around my wrist. I don't get it and he exhales deeply.

"The game that involved the glow sticks . . . it was called New Years Eve, you find a partner to kiss with the same color."

"And I kissed you?" I ask, he reaches for his bedside table holding up a faded green glow stick. Looking back down at the clearness of the band around my wrist I feel a knife twist. "Who did I kiss?"

"Vincent," He bites out, tossing the glow stick back onto the stand. "He saw me practically carrying you downstairs, Eden announced the game when he was trying to convince me he'd take care of you but you were listening to the game so out of nowhere you kissed him. Right in front of me."

I grab my phone from charge, checking the home screen that says I have several missed calls, texts and notifications. "Is that all?"

"You're kidding, right? You aren't phased by what you did," I unlock my phone, drinking more water and avoiding looking at him directly. "You kissed someone else - who wasn't me. Do you not understand how messed up that is?"