S1Ep2 - "Diner Dash" Part Two

Start from the beginning

Angn beamed, eager to try what his friend liked. "Enna, do you serve green tea here? I'd love to try some."

Enna nodded. "Sure do! I created my own blend, actually. I use pom syrup as a sweetener."

Maxine's eyes widened. She leaned forward, staring at the Syrien waitress. "You've just become my favorite person ever, Enna."

The trio laughed, but a beeping from Angn's control-watch cut through. Since earlier today, or was it this morning, he'd have to acclimate to the artificial day/night cycle, he had begun to pick up on the functionality of his new tool. He hit the communicator button, and DICC's voice filled the space around the table.

"Administrator, as much as I wish to avoid it, your presence is needed in the control-orb. You will need to return immediately." Angn rolled his eyes. DICC continued, "I do hope it is not too taxing of your feeble, organic structure to hurry. I will beam you up when you wish. See you when you arrive."

Maxine shook her head. "Damn, is he usually that hostile? I only spoke to him once."

Angn shrugged. "I'm sure it's just hazing... Robots can haze, right?"

His companions glanced at each other, their expressions reflecting concern. Angn sighed. He'd need to win over the Artifici to his side if he wanted the job to run smoothly; but how does one win over a robot, exactly?

Enna slid out of the booth and began to stretch. "Well, my shift has been over for a while now, and I don't have much else going on. I'd love to see what the control-orb is like. Is that okay with you?"

"Of course. How about you Maxine?"

Maxine shrugged. "Maybe some other time. I have some leads to follow up on." The three of them waved goodbye to Aeba, the two spacers, and the cook. Angn was the first out the door where a small Mantoid walked right into him, knocking him to the ground.

Angn looked up, apologetically. "Whoa, I'm so sorry about that."

The Mantoid looked down at the flustered Grey and snarled, "watch out you-" but stopped mid-threat, noticing the watch on Angn's wrist. Angn practically felt the stare and pulled his wrist closer to his body as Maxine and Enna helped him to his feet.

The smaller Mantoid's companion, a towering, round Mantoid himself, grabbed the smaller one by the arm and yanked him up from the floor. The smaller Mantoid yelped and Angn almost worried the little guy's arm was pulled from its socket.

The large one pulled his friend upward to where their faces were level and asked, "Brother, are you hurt?"

The smaller one, no worse for wear and, incredibly angry, screeched, "no, put me down!" His three free arms and two feet flailed dramatically. The larger Mantoid set him down.

Maxine grunted, recognizing them, "Wootari Wulg and Wootari Snix. What are you two doing here?" She stepped closer to Angn and touched his back. He was unsure why.

Wulg whipped around toward Maxine and held up his smallest claw in an obscene gesture. He hissed, "it's a free hub, detective. We're just here to have lunch, or are you gonna arrest us for that?"

Maxine's eyes narrowed and she put herself between Angn and the Wootari Brothers. "I don't know what you two are up to, but I have my eye on you."

Wulg cracked his knuckles and smiled a vicious little smile at Maxine, "yeah, whatever." He looked up at his younger brother and said, "let's get somethin' to eat, Bro."

Snix nodded, remaining silent.

The Mantoids ducked into the diner while Angn and his cohorts wandered away.