Chapter 8: The Tiger's Wrath

The West Wing Library, home to hundreds of thousands of books and studious children. Yui and I snuck to the back where the textbooks were and searched for buttons. The myths said to find three, but when I pressed only one of them, a passage revealed itself.

We climbed down dusty stairs and discovered a cave full of books. Like there weren't enough above us. Boring!

"Look over here," Yui motioned towards two publications: one about known abilities of Star Children, the other on tactical squad deployment. "I found these last year, but I never had a use for them..."

"You thought you were a Star Child?"

"Not really," she shrugged. "A classmate showed me this place last year, and for some reason, I remembered these. I searched for Star Child books in every library here, but I only found biographies. So," Yui handed me the works. "Do your best."

I sat on the floor and ran my fingers through Spells of the Stars: Known Abilities of Star Children, a light book with small text

I sat on the floor and ran my fingers through Spells of the Stars: Known Abilities of Star Children, a light book with small text. Telepathy? Binding spell? Everyone knew that. A denser book, A Guide to Group Combat rambled about leadership before dumping complex visuals on positioning. Great.

"Let's head out," I slammed the books shut and tucked them in my bag. "We can't get caught in here." When we exited the hobbit hole, the shelves gently spun back to where it was before, like nothing happened.

⁎✿⁎❀⁎❁⁎❀⁎✿⁎

As soon as we stepped out the library, we heard a scream, followed by a roar. "This way!" Yui gripped my hand and dashed towards an exit. The Dark Fog took the shape of a ferocious tiger, and its violet body made it easy to spot under the harsh sunlight.

The beast charged at us, and Yui summoned ten shields, but they weren't enough. "Its aura is Soul, so I'm weak against it," she grunted. "Do you see that girl inside the Fog?!"

Yes, Yui, I saw her - Grace Shio in the flesh.

She's in a rare type of dispiriting, Full Immersion. When a person overloads on negativity, the Black Fog gains enough strength to consume them whole. Then, it becomes a race against the clock. The victim turns into a ticking time bomb, as the monster treats them like a battery - if they run out of magical energy, they both perish.

In essence, if the Student Council failed to defeat this Level 9 in time, Grace Shio would die.

"You will pay for your actions," the Fog murmured, its single swipe rendering Yui's shields into a million pieces. It lunged towards us - but just in the nick of time, hundreds of lances struck down on its paws, pinning it to the ground. "Telepathy!" Feng reminded me, and I surrendered my magic pool.

"Obice Album," Adam laid down a white barrier, trapping the Black Fog with us.

Listen closely Himeko, Feng summoned a hundred more spears. Paris ALWAYS stays by your side. His basic shield and sword summoning is enough to protect you and himself. He's also the only one who can heal. With a flick of his wrist, his spears deflected the tiger's paw slash. Dark magic is offensive, while Holy is defensive. Use Adam to defend civilians and choke points, so they can escape from danger. I can either attack or distract the enemy, when needed.