xvi. | chapter sixteen

Belle

Months have passed with no public notice of the strange Opera Ghost, the man they call the Phantom of the Opera. With emphasis on 'public'. During these three months of absence, he tutored her. He guided her through the difficulties of raising your voice and bringing it down, keeping one tone for seconds straight, the breathing.. everything he could in such short notice.

His only request was for her to stay in the Opera House, and she did as he asked of her. In all these time she hasn't spoken to her father, but she didn't really want to either. She has found a replacement, a replacement who did love her.  

It was a little boring to stay in Palais Garnier all day with stressed ballerinas and a scared Christine, who fears her 'Angel of Music' by now. Belle didn't fear him, because he explained why he had to kill Buquet.

Buquet was a mad man, crazy to the bone. A danger to them all and a little bit handsy with the dancers. He didn't want him to hurt her or any other ballerina. Belle had seen him more than once touching the ballerinas inappropiately and had to agree that that was not acceptable. It is better he is no longer here.

Belle was just returning from her training with Madame Giry when she hears both the monsieurs talking. It was about a feast, soon to be held at Palais Garnier. The monsieurs speak with a tall man with dark hair and cobalt blue eyes, accompanied by a smaller boy that looks exactly like him and a tall, blonde woman in beautiful clothes and a big hat on her head.

She recognises at least two of them.. it was Nicholas! The boy she met at the shoes shop. What was he doing here? Visiting his uncle, maybe?

At last they noticed her presence and monsieur Firmin calls her to them by beckoning her with his hand. Sheepishly she shuffles forward on her pointe shoes. "Miss Deveraux, we searched for you. Have you spoken to your father yet," Firmin asks.

She shakes her head. "No, why should I have monsieur?" "Have you forgotten your agreement with Madame Giry? Around the holidays you would have to return to his home and spend your time there," he tells her.

Belle's heart sinks. Leave? But she'd promised not to leave the Opera House! Surely he would understand, wouldn't he? Monsieur André notices her behaviour and smiles. "We can ask your father ourselves if you'd like, miss Belle," he asks.

"If you would do that I'd like that very much, monsieur," she replies hesitantly. He tells her that they would make it all in order. She leaves the scenery after being dismissed and was about to turn around to corner to the attic when Nicholas stops her. 

"How are you," he asks. "Don't you have to be with your parents right now," Belle retorts. He laughs. "Okay, first thing: I was first with asking questions. Second, they are already back to conversation and don't notice anything."

Belle giggles, her curls bouncing up and down. "Well, I am fine Nicholas. How are you nowadays?" "Fine," he replies curtly. The two of them stare dead serious into each others eyes, before bursting out laughter. "I have to admit, I kind of missed you," Nicholas says then.

"Why," Belle asks. He smiles. "Because you seemed fun. I don't meet that much fun people. Everyone is always so stuck-up, even the children," he mutters. He seems sad. Belle grasps for his hand with one of hers and rubs his arm with her other, trying to soothe his sadness. 

"Don't be sad, you have me now," she smiles. What she didn't know was that her words angered someone very, very much.

Phantom

He looks down with narrowed eyes, his right eye through the slit of his mask, on the two children. That Nicholas boy was talking to Belle. She was touching him, soothing his pain. Does she not know how much this interaction pains him?

Not only did this boy intervene with his plans for her, but they wanted to send her away for the holidays. When she was with her biological father, he could not protect her. He could not have control over her.

"My Wandering Angel will realise soon enough that all I do is to protect her," he murmurs grimly. "Even if I have to make sure that boy stays away from you."