v. | chapter five

Belle

At least she was not too late for the last part of the Hannibal rehearsal: Soprano Carlotta singing 'Think of Me'.

Well, when Belle sees her strutting onto the stage, she thinks immediately of a peacock.

Over the top.

She begins already loud, singing so high that it hurts her ears. Or maybe that is because Belle didn't think she is that good.

Her fingers find the way to her ears, burying them inside. She sees the maids who clean the opera hall putting something like wax into their ears while rolling their eyes at each other.

Belle knew by then they did not like the soprano either.

After a few minutes of Carlotta just making high noises instead of singing, three older men walk onto the stage. She recognises one of them as the current owner, who would retire, from her father's stories.

But Belle didn't recognise the other two. Who were they supposed to be?

The current owner catches sight of us all. "Monsieur Reyer, Madame Giry, ladies and gentlemen. Please, if I could have your attention?"

Everybody looks up or around to look at the man, who now smiles at everyone.

"Thank you. As you know, for some weeks, there have been rumors of my imminent retirement. I can now tell you that these were all true," Carlotta makes a 'ha' sound to her husband Piangi," and it is my pleasure to introduce you to the two gentlemen who now own the Opera Populaire."

He makes a waving gesture to the two fancy dressed up men. "Monsieur Richard Firmin and monsieur Gilles André." As monsieur André akwardly waves at the people who applause, monsieur Lefevre continues.

"I'm sure you've read of their recent fortune amassed in the junk business-" "Scrap. Metal, actually," Mr André cuts him off, still faking a smile. Lefevre still continues. Belle found their conversation funny.

"And we are deeply honoured to introduce our new patron, the Vicomte de Chagny." A man struts onto the stage while the dancers of Opera Populaire walk backstage.

As a few girls fawn over the 'handsome' guy, Belle rolled her eyes at that, he greets monsieur Lefevre. "My parents and I are honoured to support all the arts, especially the world renowned Opera Populaire."

As a small applause errupts, the soprano walks forward. Belle rolls her eyes so much that she was afraid they would roll back into her skull. She looks at the orchestra to see her father staring sideways at her, almost to make sure she didn't mess anything up.

Pfuh, as if she could. 

"Señora, would you do us a favour and show us a little bit of what you have rehearsed," monsieur Lefevre asks Carlotta. She nods eagerly and stands ready, snapping at one of her helps to give her that mouth spray she uses to keep her throat smooth.

After wetting her mouth she begins with the song 'Think of me'. Belle puts her fingers in her ears, cringing as the sound still slips it's way to her eardrums.

In a try to push all sound away she focuses on other things. She frowns her little eyebrows as she sees a shadow walking over the hanging bridges above the stage which were used by the stage builders.

Who could that be?

A few seconds later the rail with drapes falls down. Belle gasps and puts her hands childishly before her eyes not to see it. She hears the screams, especially the one of señora Carlotta and shivers in her seat. 

It was strange to think, but she was happy to hear her yell after that. At least it shows that she was alive, which gives her the courage to open her eyes again. She looks up to the hanging bridges to see that the shadow has left.

Has that thing hurt Carlotta? But why?

Everyone runs onto the stage to help Carlotta. She softly sniffles, burying her head against her legs as she pulls them onto her seat.

Two arms wrap around her and she looks up to see her father, who also looked shocked. "Don't cry, Belle. Carlotta is fine, she only hurt her ankle." His voice muffles out the voices on the stage as he ensures her that everything is fine.

"Daddy.. did someone do this to hurt señora Carlotta," she murmurs against his chest. He chuckles. "Of course not darling, it was just an accident. The rope that holds the rail up probably wasn't really secured well. Nothing to be afraid of, dear."

She hears Carlotta scream at Monsieur André. "For the past three years, these things do happen! And did you stop them from happening? No!" She points at both the new owners.

"And you two, you are as bad as him. These things do happen? Meh, ugh! And did you stop these things from happening, these things do not happen!" She yells at her husband and storms off stage.

Her dad hugs her tightly. "Come on, do not be afraid. Monsieur Lefevre will say goodbye soon and would like to meet you."

"Okay daddy," she replies, thinking about the man in the shadows she knows she saw on the hanging bridges. Could it be.. could it be the masked man who could blend in so well with the shadows that she met in the abandoned corridor?

Could that seriously be?