o. | prologue

Tatiana

Paris is known for it's riches and beauty. For the shops with designer dresses and the latest fashion trends. For arts and talent, not to forget their exquisite Palais Garnier.. one of the most magnificent opera houses in the world.

I could only dream of dancing in such a place. That I could float over the stage in a tulle skirt and pointe shoes.

That was a dream that could, unfortunately, never come true.

I could not go further than dancing on the streets. Swinging my hips and rolling my belly to please anyone who would want to see, mostly men.

Their lustful gazes when I walk around the tent disgust me. Yet I have to keep a smile on my face, pretending that I didn't mind when they slapped my behind and groped for my hips.

Sometimes I wish to be back home by my brothers, my sisters and my mother in Africa. But I was the only one making money for them. They could not live without my financial support, though it was not much.

I regret leaving Africa with monsieur Jaime. He is a dictator, a cunning young man with dreams that does not care if we don't want to do what he asks of us.

It was evening, almost time for our show in the tent of Fair Le Acrobatíc. The other girls were all busy running around their dressing room while I lay down quietly on my stretcher-bed.

Our clothes were quite revealing, showing off our shoulder, stomach, most of our backs and our lower legs. It was a deep, bloodred colour with golden trimming. My curly hair was falling down my shoulders and stuffed with small golden bells that tinkle with every step I take.

I know just one other girl of the dancers, a girl named Lucianna. She came from the same town as me. Then her name was Dibyara, but monsieur Jaime gave us all a different name, mine being Tatiana.

Only with difficulty could I remember my true name, as it was so long ago that I last used it. Maybe that was monsieur Jaime's goal with it: making us forget who we truly are inside.

Speaking of which, the monsieur enters the dressing room, not caring that some of the dancers were not fully clothed yet.

Not that he hasn't seen it all with some of the girls..

"Good evening, ma cheries. It's time for a big show tonight," he says. The smirk on his face promises me no good.

Then monsieur Jaime looks me in the eyes, the cold grey ones of his twinkling with devilish thoughts.

I knew that monsieur Jaime lusted after me, wishing to visit me during the darkness of nights, but I denied him any warmth of my heart.

That was a blow to his ego, so he was also trying to pull revenge on me. I know that tonight will be one of those nights.

"Tatiana.. I have a job of special importance for you tonight.."

I sit up from my laying position, my brown eyes staring into the grey orbs.

"What is it, monsieur Jaime?"

"Tonight a group of rich Paris men will come to our show. I need you to.. entertain them. Can you do that?"

"Is there any possibility of saying no then," I ask sassily.

He smirks, shaking his head 'no'.

"There isn't." "Very well then," I reply, my eyes looking down at my bare feet. No matter what, monsieur Jaime will not break my spirit. The forest gods are with me while he is being chased by the demonic creatures of the dark.

Jaime leaves the tent and after the first few acts the dancers have to come into the ring.

I stand in a tight line with the other girls, our arms stretched while holding onto small copper bells.

The music starts to play and we strut in, our hips and bellies moving on the rythm.

The room was filled with mostly men, young and old, that look with hungry eyes at us.

But.. one man catches my attention. A man who looks distraught and tired, as if the weight of the world rested on his shoulders and he has had enough.

And, not to forget, quite handsome too.

A few men around him, friends I think at the way they act with each other, poke and yell things at him.

While my body is on auto-control, my mind focuses on the man.

His friends jab him with their fingers, trying to catch his attention, and point at the dancers, especially me.

While I watch the man constantly, my gaze seems to attract him too. Or he was finally done with his friends at this point, I will never know.

His electric blue eyes meet mine and they soften at seeing me.

This was our first encounter, but I will never know it wouldn't be our last.

One month later we will sleep together for the first time. Four months later from now I will find out I was pregnant with his child. One week from then and I'll be kicked onto the streets by monsieur Jaime, who calls my body 'worthless when it's filled with a baby'.

A day later and I'll regret the last four months. That was the day that I found out that all what I and Francois Deveraux once had was a lie. That was the day that I found out he was married for two years with a son of almost one year and a new baby on the way.

I felt so used. I felt so sad.

Paris may be beautiful, but on the streets of Paris there is no beauty to be found. There is only hatred, sadness and no mercy for the poor.

A bad environment to raise a child into adulthood, but I had no other choice.

And.. I would not even reach the age to see her grow into adulthood. My beautiful, innocent little daughter.

My beautiful little Ophelia Odette Belle Rosalie Deveraux.