vii. | chapter seven

Belle

The ballerinas were tired of rehearsing the whole day, so they dragged their heavy limbs upstairs to the bedrooms while occasionally looking behind them to see if she was still there. Apparently Madame Giry told the girls she was known for taking off whenever she felt bored or left out and they were extra careful.

The daughter of Giry, Meg, however did talk to her. She asked where she came from, what her favourite colour was and how she likes Palais Garnier. She didn't seem that tired of rehearsing Hannibal, but maybe that was because she does this for a very long time already.

Belle kindly replies to Meg and the older girl shows her the attic, where most of the girls lay down on the singular beds, to read magazines or to continue with conversing with each other. Meg shows her an empty bed in the corner, close to hers and the one of a woman with beautiful brown curls with matching eyes. She was thin, but not unhealthy thin, and her face was heart-shaped.

"Hello, you are Belle, aren't you," the girl asks as she pushes herself up on the bed to look at the child. Belle nods. The other girl smiles and sticks her hand out. "Christine Daae, nice to meet you and welcome to Opera Populaire. Don't worry about the first few days, you will find your place between the girls," the girl promises.

"Thank you, Christine. I heard you will take señora Carlotta's place as leading role in Hannibal, is that true?" Christine smiles. Her eyes turning a little hazy, as if she was in a dream, and nods.

"That is true." "Where did you learn to sing that well? You sounded like an angel," Meg asks, piping up in their conversation. The young Swedish girl waves it off with a lazy smile and rests her head on the cushions.

"Please, I am too tired to explain at this moment. Good evening Meg, good evening Belle." Her brown hair lays spread on the soft cushions. Both Belle and Meg look at each other, but they shrug and decide to go to bed too. After all, tomorrow would be a long day for the Opera Populaire.

If only Belle's dream would have been kind enough to give her good rest..

She dreams of walking all on her own through the dark and abandoned hallways of Palais Garnier. A haunting voice was filling the darkness and it scares her very much to know that she was all on her own with no one to help her.

Belle softly shuffles forward, holding a lightened candelabra in her small fist. It was to grant her at least a little light in the darkness of the night. That was when she hears the haunting voice again, his words now being more clear. "Listen to me Angel of Music.. Follow me my Angel of Music.."

The voice was enchanting and somehow familiar as she walks towards the sound. She turns around the corner.. and a heavy bar with a curtain attached to it falls on her. Belle groans in pain and finds herself looking up. It was there she sees the contours of the shadowy figure she saw today. 

The singing was coming from him, she thinks before her vision turns blurry. The figure was walking closer and she tries to crawl away, but she was shutting down. There was no way to escape. Her breathing quickens and her chest moves up and down rapidly. The shadow man walks towards her and leans over.

"Angel of Music, Angel of Dance.. Now you will sleep.."

And Belle jumps up in her bed, covered in cold sweat. That was a really strange nightmare..

Her eyes find the roof window in the attic and she sees the dark night, lightened by the giant moon and beautiful stars. It was still night, Belle sighs.

She was thinking of discovering the Opera House a little further, probably more to assure herself that nothing was wrong than to know the building better. But her nightmare, burnt into her brain, was more than enough reason not to.

Belle lays her head on the cushions again, waiting for either herself to fall asleep or the dawn to rise.