Chapter. 22: Back home

Natsuki POV
╔═════ ≪ ◦ ❖ ◦ ≫ ═════╗
I couldn't help but worry about Sayori our whole trip back home.

Actually, no. It's her home. Not mine...

Everytime I'd look back at Sayori, she'd be lost in her thoughts. I didn't really understand what bothered her so much. After all, she just saved me from years of abuse.

And I don't think I can ever make up for that. However
I will forever be thankful for what she did.

My father is gone now. There's nothing left to worry about. So what's up with her?

Actually, there are a lot of things to worry about, but not now! She should be enjoying this moment right now.

And I would be too if only she'd stop thinking about whatever she is thinking about and worrying me.

I had a strange feeling of freedom, which I've never felt before.

Now, I would never have to worry about my father or be scared to even go home.

I can finally stop starving myself and go out whenever I want to. It felt great!

Before I could realize, I was lost in thoughts, just like Sayori.

But unlike her, my thoughts were wondering to the endless posibilities I had now. There were so many things I wanted to try out, I didn't even realize until now!

I was finally free from that horrible man.

We continued walking, eventually losing the track of time. It could have been hours until we finally reached Sayori's house, but I didn't care.

It was a nice walk.

I glance over at Sayori, expecting to see her in the carefree, cheerful attitude she always had. However, she was still worried.

Without saying another word, Sayori started walking faster until she reached her front gate.

Ready to swing the door open, she pushed down on the handle.

But nothing happened.

"Uhh..." Sayori muttered awkwardly, while searching her pockets, getting more and more desperate as the anxiety, slowly yet noticeable, grew on her face.

She continued searching whatever it was, burying her hands as deep as she could in her pockets, even if she knew it was no help.

"Sayori? What happened?" I quickly caught up with her, helplessly watching her struggle.

"Heh..." Sayori slowly turned around to face me, joining her index fingers together, like she always does.

"Well?" I crossed my arms.

"We're locked out."

"What!?"

I started to panick, and as soon as I did, Sayori started to panick even more.

"I don't know what happened, okay!?" She weakly yelled. "I must have dropped my keys or something!"

"Well, don't just stand there, what are you gonna do!?"