54-Heart of Glass

Start from the beginning

-

Natasha walked into the lab a few minutes after Bruce had walked out to get lunch. She carried a stack of papers with her, all from Fury and SHIELD. She had found them while searching through some of the archives at the base and well, Peyton had to see them.

"Bruce, you're back already? Oh." The blonde asks, turning around as the door reopens. Peyton was hunched over Vision's body so as soon as she saw Nat, she straightened. 

"Hey, I found some stuff you'll want to see." Natasha says, walking over to the other woman. Peyton wipes her hands on a rag, walking to where Natasha had placed the stack of papers. Natasha hands her the paper which was the most eye opening to read while the Russian spy studied her fellow spy. Peyton had dark circles under her eyes. Her blonde hair was messily pulled back and the Stark Industries shirt she was wearing clearly showed how pregnant she was. There was a pencil stuck in her ponytail for safe keeping. Peyton's green eyes widened as she read and reread the paper.

"Jesus Christ, why didn't he give Steve or you this fucking job." The blonde grumbles, setting the paper down. She shuts her eyes, pinching the bridge of her nose. Natasha chuckles, leaning against the table.

"Well for one, you outrank both Steve and I. Two, who else is more worthy of this job?" She asks. Natasha wasn't bullshitting her friend. When SHIELD was around, Peyton outrank everyone on the team. She was right up there with Coulson and Hill. Peyton laughs drily, looking at Natasha.

"Leading the team in such a formal way-that should be Tony or Steve's job." Peyton responds, turning from the papers. Natasha furrowed her brows together, sitting on a stool.

"Why can't it be yours? You've been more involved with SHIELD than both of them. Look at how you took control of the situation when we were in Wakanda. You deserve this, Pey." Natasha tries to convince her. Peyton fiddles with a screwdriver, looking out of the window.

"I'll never be able to forgive myself if he dies on my watch, Natalia. Or if any of you guys die on my watch." She tells her friend quietly. Natasha sits up. It was always...hard to see either of the Stark siblings become so serious. They were always so fun loving and happy and when they weren't-well it was like a rain cloud hovered over them. An uncomfortable silence settled over the room as Peyton thought before the blonde turned to look at Natasha. Something had settled inside of her.

"Have you done what I've asked you to?" Peyton asks, her voice serious and even. A smile appears on Natasha's face as she realizes what Pey has chosen.

"I'll get right on it, Director Stark." Natasha responds and Peyton sighs, "I'm sorry Director Stark of the Avengers. Does that help?"

-

Steve wasn't at dinner and I returned to an empty room. My emotions were too high and I felt like if Steve was to show up, I was going to kick his ass. Three days without seeing him. Three damn days. During the three days that he's been gone, his missed his son's first movements. I'm so angry and baby, you should be too. I walk further into the room, using my powers to shut the door behind me. I pull out one of Steve's shirts and a pair of his sweatpants, leaving them on the bed for me.

I pulled the rubber band out of my hair, leaving it on the counter in the bathroom. I shook my hair out as I took my clothes off. The shower was turned on using my powers, the water heating up quickly. I toe off my socks, leaving them with the rest of my dirty clothes before climbing into the shower. I sighed as the water poured over me, head tilted back and eyes shut.

Of course, I should've told Steve how I was feeling about my brother. Of course I should make known my feelings. Should've, could've, would've.

I'm sorry baby. I'm sorry.