“As you probably are all aware of, the Chunin Selection Exams are coming up soon. I now ask if there are any team leaders who would like to volunteer their teams for the Exams. Kakashi, Kira, Asuma, and Kurenai, please step up.”

                I obeyed, the four of us moving in sync as we stepped forward as a unit.

                “I probably don’t have to remind you, but after a Genin has properly completed at least eight mission, they are eligible for the Exam if they are nominated by their sensei.”

                “Easy,” I said, stepping forward immediately. “Team Seven, led by Kira Izanami and, unfortunately, Kakashi Hatake: Naruto Uzumaki, Sakura Haruno, and Sasuke Uchiha. Upon my family name of Izanami, I nominate all three of them for the Chunin Selection Exam.”

                The Hokage didn’t look surprised, but Iruka certainly did.

                “Team Eight, led by Kurenai Yuhi: Hinata Hyuga, Kiba Inuzuka, and Shino Aburame. Upon my family name of Yuhi, I also nominate the three of them for the Chunin Selection Exams.”

                “Team Ten, led by Asuma Sarutobi: Ino Yamanaka, Shikamaru Nara, and Choji Akimichi. Upon my family name of Sarutobi, they are also nominated for the Chunin Selection Exam.”

                “All of them? How rare,” the Hokage murmured.

                “Hold on a second,” Iruka said, stepping forward. “Lord Hokage, I request that you let me have a word. I may be speaking out of place, but most of these nine were my students, back at the Academy. They may all be talented kids, but it’s too early for them to take this Exam! They still need more experience! I cannot understand these Jonin’s reasoning.”

                “I became a Chunin when I was six years younger than Naruto,” said Kakashi, which only riled up the other man.

                “Naruto is different from you! Are you trying to crush these kids? The Chunin Exam is – “

                “With all due respect, Iruka,” I cut in, and the tent went silent. Was I really that influential? Cool. “You haven’t witnessed the Genin’s improvement. Perhaps I cannot speak for the other teams, but I can speak for my own Genin, and they are ready to take the Exam.”

                “Besides, crushing them would be fun,” Kakashi added.

                “That was a joke. Crushing them would not be fun, and Kaka-baka knows it. I could just leave it at this, but I would like to ease your mind by pointing out that my team has already gone through and survived the experience of a mission that has been reclassified as B-ranked. Is B-ranked not usually reserved for higher Chunin and Jonin?”

                Nobody could argue with that, although I could see that Iruka really, really, really wanted to.

                “Well,” said the Hokage, “if that’s settled, then you are dismissed. We will see about the preliminary exams shortly.”

***

                Upon further examination, I realized that the people temporarily occupying the apartment next to mine were none other than the Sand Siblings, so-called by the Hokage himself. This could be a very, very good opportunity, especially if what I’d heard about the youngest was true.

                I knocked on the door and put on my best smile as the door opened to reveal a girl, around the Genin’s age. “Can I help you?” she asked, with a bit of sass.