Chapter 11

The duo rested for a short time in the Pokémon Center, sitting together on a couple of chairs. Antoshi idly played with the identification lanyard he continued to wear. Fireball playfully swung his stubby legs, which couldn't reach the floor. They watched the next battle get underway on nearby television screens.

Just then, someone rounded the corner.

"Ah, here they are," a staff member said, smiling, as he waved an unknown party over. "147?" he asked the duo. Antoshi nodded, confused. "You have some visitors."

The pair's jaws simultaneously dropped as Antoshi's parents emerged. The boy rose to his feet.

"Mom? Dad?" he asked, grinning ecstatically.

"Oh, Antoshi!" his mother responded with a sorrowful expression.

Antoshi ran over and threw his arms around her. Both of his parents held and consoled him as he cried into his mother's shoulder. It felt like forever since he'd been in their embrace. There was an indescribable sense of relief inside him, brought on by the familiar scent and warmth that only his parents could provide. It was more than enough to mend the hole that their loss left in his heart.

"It's all right," his mother reassured him, with tears in her eyes. "You and Fireball put up an incredible battle out there. I was so proud watching you both give it your all."

"I'm sorry," he said, sniffling and wiping his eyes. "You're right, we did give it our all. I ... shouldn't cry over that."

"No apologies necessary, son," his father replied warmly, stroking the back of his son's head.

"How, uh, ... how long have you been here?" Antoshi asked, clearing his throat. "You said you were busy with work. I didn't think you were coming."

"Oh, honey," his mother said, "we could never be busy enough not to be here for you on the most important day of your journey! Of course, we still wanted to surprise you, just in case you won the whole shebang. We're so excited and so proud that you made it this far. To think, our son was on TV for the entire world to see. Ooh, you're like a celebrity now!"

The others laughed. Antoshi smiled gently and nodded.

"Thanks, Mom," he softly responded. "I needed that, ... and I really needed to see you both right now."

"Antoshi, you're an incredible Trainer," his father said. "I'm so proud of you and Fireball for your dedication. You could've given up and gone home at any time, but you stuck with it all the way. You made it to the Indigo Plateau and got to compete in this tournament seen all around the world. You're always going to be the best Trainer I've ever known, son."

Antoshi grinned, wiping residual tears from his eyes.

"Thanks, Dad. I'm so lucky to have the two of you always encouraging me and helping pick me back up. We never would've gotten this far without you both behind us all the way."

His mother giggled and hugged him tightly.

"You're still going to come home after the tournament wraps up, right?" she asked.

"Absolutely. I can't wait to come back home."

"Your mother's already got the house all decorated," his father said. "There's balloons and a banner hanging out in the front yard for you when you get back. ... I just hope the balloons are still inflated by then."

"Me, too!" his mother said with a laugh.

Antoshi grinned and chuckled quietly.

"I love you guys," he said.