Chapter 37

This island is much more beautiful than the last. It is covered in greenery and the sand going along the beach we landed on with the long boats is soft. The weird thing about this island is that there seem to be no inhabitants. We haven't seen a single living creature, wild or Narnian. Our food and water supply is doing fine so we don't bother looking for fruit to gather. Rhince's daughter, Gael, snuck on board by getting in a large wicker basket that was supposed to be filled with rope but oh well. Lucy has taken on the responsibility of looking after the girl throughout the journey since Rhince will be busy with whatever duties Drinian gives him. For the time being, we're all sitting around eating our share of rations and drinking some clean water before we get some sleep. In the morning we'll search the island properly. But even as Caspian hugs me as we fall asleep, I can't help but feel like something is off.

-Time Lapse-

It is slightly lighter out by the time I wake up, but my heart drops the second my eyes land on Lucy's empty blanket. I carefully move away from my husband, not wanting to wake him if it isn't urgent. For all I know, she could have went off to do her business or she could have went to find a fresh water source. But I grab my sword and head off into the dense forest in search of my younger sister.

"Lucy!" I call quietly, careful not to alert any of the sleeping people behind me. I move farther in and see a path of broken twigs and many leaves had fallen off the branches due to a disturbance. I hurry down the path and see Lucy talking. But there isn't anyone, or anything, around her.

"Lu!" I call and take off running towards her. I get shoved back before I can reach her.

"Emily!" She cries. "Please don't hurt her! She's my sister!"

"Then take her with you, we aren't babysitters!" Someone exclaims. I look around, only to see nothing. Someone grabs me and throws me at my little sister. I immediately wrap my arms around her.

"Are you okay?" I ask softly as I check for any injuries she may have. Lucy nods and clings to me.

"Remember! A spell to make the unseen, seen! Got it?" Another voice asks. Two large doors open, which they were once invisible. Lucy pulls me inside and the doors close behind us.

"I suppose we'll need to find the library." Lucy tells me. I nod and unsheath my sword.

"Stay close to me. Do not wander for even a second, alright? It could be dangerous in here and you don't have your dagger." I point out. She follows me closely, not even arguing once. As I make my way down multiple hallways, I keep myself completely aware so I can protect Lucy to the best of my ability. Eventually we find a large library.

"Do what you need to do, I'll stand guard out here." I tell her. She nods and enters the library, closing the door behind her. I groan as I remember that Edmund and Caspian are most likely just waking up. And the fact that both Lucy and I are gone will cause quite a bit of panic amongst themselves and the crew. After a while, I start to worry about my little sister since she's been in there for a while. But just as I turn towards the door, it opens and reveals Lucy and an old man.

"Emily, this is Coriakin. It's his island." Lucy tells me. I keep my eye on the man, my sword still held tightly in my hands.

"There is no need to fret your Majesty. I am going to help you get on the path to find the other Lords and stop the mist from corrupting even more of the world." Coriakin reassures me. I puff my cheeks out and sheath my sword. He walks passed me as Lucy grabs my hand. We follow Coriakin out of the mansion and relief fills me when I see Caspian, Edmund, and the crew. Eustace isn't here though. However, there are a bunch of dufflepuds.

"Em!" Caspian exclaims happily as soon as I enter his line of sight. I hurry over to him and he hugs me tightly. I hug him back instantly while Lucy introduces Coriakin to everyone.

"Are you alright?" Caspian asks worriedly. I nod and smile up at him.

"I'm fine Caz, just happy to see you." I reply. He smiles and kisses my forehead. Coriakin scares the dufflepuds off before leading us all into the mansion. I move to walk by Caspian's side and hold his hand before looking over my shoulder to look for Eustace. He's following us luckily...I didn't want to have to go searching for him.

"Next time Lucy goes missing, wake me up and I'll go with you. Don't scare me like that again." Caspian says softly. I give his hand a gentle squeeze as I look up at him.

"I will. I didn't mean to scare you, sorry Caz." I apologize. He laces our fingers together and smiles down at me.

"It's alright. You're back by my side in one piece and that's all that matters." Caspian replies. We end up in the library and Coriakin lays out a large map on the floor. He then explains the evil within the mist and where we need to go next. We have to follow a blue star to Ramandu's island. There we must place the seven swords on Aslan's table and it will defeat the darkness within the mist.

"It will be worse for you two." Coriakin says as he turns to Caspian and I. My husband tightens his grip on my hand.

"Why?" I ask worriedly. Coriakin looks Caspian in the eye.

"The darkness will try to break your bond...no matter how difficult it may be. It will find a way to separate you. You may find it useful to spend every second you possibly can with each other. The results will haunt you forever if it succeeds." He tells us. I gasp and drop Caspian's hand so I can cling to his side instead. Caspian wraps his arm around me protectively, his other hand resting on the hilt of his sword. Coriakin's words continuously bounce around my mind. I can't let the mist separate us...I just can't.