* * * *

I exhaled deeply as I left the building. I felt a little overwhelmed, but overall I was excited. Rebecca was very welcoming and answered all the questions I had.

I grabbed my phone and scrolled until I saw Caden's names. The phone rang a couple times.

"Hey, baby. How are you doing over there?" I asked.

"Good. I miss you, babe. How's everything with you?" he replied.

"It's weird, but it's alright. I can't wait to get back home to you."

"Aww, I can't either. It's late and I need to get to sleep, but I'll talk to you tomorrow?"

"Yeah, of course. Goodnight."

"Night. I love you."

"I love you too." Call ended.

We had been together for three years and had never been apart so long. I sighed and wrapped my jacket tighter around myself. I decided to take the bus home and save money for other things. It was still light out and I had a knife with me, so I wasn't too worried about walking alone. Plus, there were people everywhere. Surely they would help me.

I looked out at the city as I waited for the bus. I was standing on a large concrete platform with a couple benches. I scanned the other people near me. There was a middle-aged woman with a child, two guys that appeared to be 20-something, a girl around my age, and a guy whose age I couldn't guess because of his hood. The hooded boy seemed to be facing me, but he was looking down, so I didn't care.

When the bus finally arrived, I got on sluggishly and sat down, resting my head in my hand. I was tired of doing the same thing everyday. It didn't matter that I had just started something new; it felt the same. It always has.

I reached in my bag, pulled out my headphones, and plugged them into my phone. I turned on my go-to playlist, desperate to tune out the world.

I looked out the window, watching images race past. I let my imagination carry me somewhere else until I reached my stop.

* * * *

I flopped down on my hotel bed. I had enough energy to at least change in pajamas, but nothing else. I plugged in my phone, set an alarm, then burrowed my way under the covers.

When morning finally arrived, I had to drag myself out of bed. I slowly got ready and went downstairs for hotel breakfast and coffee. I had always loved the feeling of hotels for some reason. Perhaps it was the brief excitement of being somewhere different. There were two other people downstairs that seemed just as tired as me.

When I arrived at the subway, I saw the hooded man again. I figured we had the same schedule, so I ignored it.

* * * *

The weeks went by quickly, and they were all more or less the same. It was the day for me to do a mock trial to evaluate what I'd learned over the month. Once I finished, I would get to return home. As much as I enjoyed England, I was getting pretty homesick.

The trial started out slow, but once I was able to grill the defendant, I could feel the case tilting in my favor. Granted, they weren't making it super difficult for me since this was just practice, but I still used it as an opportunity to show my skills. Before too long, I said my final statement and awaited the results.